Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Show Question >

Craft Show Question

Craft Show Question

Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 AM

Default Craft Show Question

Hello Everybody!

I am doing a craft show in November. The problem is the space each of us have will be very limited. I believe I only have a half a banquet table to work with. I have made up a bunch of things so far but i am wondering if maybe i should be putting my energy into somethings that would be more likely to sell or what seems to be the most popular you seen sythe craft shows this year. Any suggestions would be helpful? For example i did make up a few hot pads.. should extend on those and make more. My mind is going so fast and i just really at a lost of what to do! thanks everybody!

Sincerely
Rockie

Last edited by rockie8903; 10-07-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: size of table
Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Given the date for the show, you will attract a lot of Christmas shoppers looking for gifts. It really does depend on the location, but most folks are looking for something on the less expensive end of the scale, so the pot holders are a good idea. There are some good ideas in this recent post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t231889.html

I would also look into getting something for your table that will add height to your display, and maximize your "sales area". Maybe a small set of book shelves... with the iPods being so popular, there are lots of CD racks at resale shops. These would be perfect for small items. Or if you have one of those cup holders, you could display your pot holders.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:44 AM

I don't know what sells these days (I stopped doing shows years ago although I am making some things for my church's show this November) but I was going to suggest you display "up". Since your flat table space is limited, arrange your products on different levels by stacking fabric covered or draped boxes. If they will let you (and you have one) have a screen (like a room divider) to the side or behind you to hang items on also. The more you can show, the more people will stop to look. My experience has been that most people 'browse' and won't take the time to dig through piles. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Given the date for the show, you will attract a lot of Christmas shoppers looking for gifts. It really does depend on the location, but most folks are looking for something on the less expensive end of the scale, so the pot holders are a good idea. There are some good ideas in this recent post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t231889.html

I would also look into getting something for your table that will add height to your display, and maximize your "sales area". Maybe a small set of book shelves... with the iPods being so popular, there are lots of CD racks at resale shops. These would be perfect for small items. Or if you have one of those cup holders, you could display your pot holders.
Paper Princess is right on target. A CD rack adds lots of display space taking little space...or a small folding bookshelf. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby. Take a good look around the house to see if you can repurpose a few things for display. Love the idea of the mug tree for pot holders! If using a table cover, make sure that it is a solid color so that it doesn't compete for customer's attention with your items.
Good Luck!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Best sellers at our guild sale table at the last craft show were:

Grippers: I sewed the grippy shelf liner to a charm square.
Fridge/Freezer door handle covers.
Mouse pads. Old mouse pads with pretty fabric fused on top.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 10-07-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:06 AM

When I did Bazaars and craft shows, the one item I sold the most of were the small color book bags, that had the individual sections for the crayons on the out side of the bag. They were easy to make, and were always the first thing to sell, never had enough of them.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 AM

You may only have the table space that is flat, but you also have the drape space below the table surface and above your table for display. That will really increase the amount of display area you would have.

You can make something out of a poster board presentation folder or any number of things.

Like Paper Princess wrote: I would also look into getting something for your table that will add height to your display, and maximize your "sales area". Maybe a small set of book shelves.

Those snap bags made with metal measuring tape closures have been a great hit here.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Along with pot holders, how about glass koozies, mug mats, candle mats, and placemats.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I made some things that are quick and most people would give as a gift. Good luck !!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM

Just a comment .. if you make what everyone else makes .. you compete on price... If you make original designs you have no competition.