Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps >

Scraps

Scraps

Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 AM

I suggest you check out Bonnie Hunter. She's the queen of scrap quilts, in my opinion. Check out her site and I'm sure you'll get some ideas and inspiration. Hummingbird Highway is another good source.

Jane
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM

I don't throw ANY little bit of fabric away. When I 'straighten' the edges before cutting, or from trimming when squaring up........it all goes into a bag. Makes a great throw pillow filler (grandkids love them when they are laying around on the floor/carpet) and they are easily washable. Gonna make a dog bed for my grandkids' dog this Christmas cuz arthritis is slowing him down and I want him to lay on something comfortable (am glad he can't make it up onto their couch anymore tho'!!!). I have LOTS of triangles cut off from Flying Geese and other blocks and hopefully someday will get them sewn into some kind of design for a quilt. Been quilting a L-O-N-G time and haven't got a quilt put together for myself yet ho-hum. I keep giving away.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 AM

I find it very interesting to read what quilters do with their scraps. I use mine to make doll quilts for charity and enjoy either making new fabric from them or doinf strip or foundation piecing. It is fun to see what the results are, I don't pay attention to color or scale, just sew them randomly.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

If they are too small for scrap quilts I will put them in a bag and save them to stuff a child's bean bag. They are also great for dog beds.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM

I donated lots of my small scraps to my middle school art teacher. She was thrilled. She also took some old buttons and jewelry I no longer care to craft.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I have to say that the majority of the time I save them. However, since we now live in an apt. and space is limited, I've started going through the zip-lock bags of fabrics, sorting and only saving the pieces large enough that I might use for a scrappy quilt, but I can't save everything.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 PM

Arrow what to do with scraps?

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault View Post
Okay, you're through with your quilt... it's all done, but there is this pile of scraps from the quilt. It's not fabric you will use again, mainly because there aren't any pieces big enough to do anything with them. What do you do with those scraps? I have little stacks from this quilt or that one and nothing to do with them. I don't have enough space to keep scraps AND my projects and stash.
Go to Bonnie Hunter site quiltville.com she has a lot of patterns for free on what to do with scraps
Old 10-08-2013, 06:06 PM

would love some scraps on a budget and dont get to buy much fabric and love to quilt thank you
[email protected]
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Don't feel guilty about throwing them away!! We can't save everything.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 PM

When my pieces get really small, I make 1/8th inch seams. Anything too small for that is "lint", and goes in the wastebasket, which goes into dog beds, cat pillows and such. Our local cat shelter loves that. Use your trash fabric to make the pillow case and stuff it.