Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Professional Long-ArmQuilting for Fair Entries >

Question About Professional Long-ArmQuilting for Fair Entries

Question About Professional Long-ArmQuilting for Fair Entries

Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 AM

Please don't let anyone or anything you see intimidate you. I make quilts because I love the fabric or pattern or have an idea that I believe will translate well into the medium. I don't quilt them myself, unless they are small, and usually local LAQ's are reasonably priced. I either give my quilts as gifts, donate them for a cause or keep them. I would never want to have my work judged against anyone else's. I do my best and feel that there will always be room for improvement and there will always be others who are more talented and practiced than I. You should enjoy whatever you do and do it for that reason alone. Don't worry about how much better you perceive others' work to be; just be happy with your own. Those to whom you give your quilts will not look at how perfect your stitches are, just at how perfect your heart is in giving them.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 AM

IzzysGrammie, Bless your sweet heart for the care you give! Please don't become discouraged and quit! Don't you want to experience that feeling you get when that last stitch goes into the binding and then you throw it on a bed to get a view of the finished product? YOUR QUILT!!!! Come on, you're a Ky gal just like me and we don't let nothin' stand between us and quiltin', now do we?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:55 PM

A year ago I entered a queen size quilt that I hand quilted and won "Best of Show" primarily BECAUSE I hand quilted it!!! Most was done as "stitch in the ditch" but the fact that it was hand done was the reason for winning.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Never ever feel that your quilting is not good enough for a competition. You will only get discouraged. There are many Domestic Machine quilted quilters out there that do breathtaking work, you can do the same, it just takes lots of practice. Any entry should acknowledge anyone that worked on it at all, ie.; person who pieced it, the pattern designer, and quilter, if it was quilted by hand, by your machine, or by a Longarmer. Just make sure everyone involved gets credit
Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by IzzysGrammie View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone because I think the quilts made on this forum are so beautiful and I love looking at the pictures everyday. Because my life is not my own anymore, this is my escape. With that said, my question is if you make a quilt for a fair entry, and you have a Professional Long-Arm Quilter finish it up for you, how is that YOUR quilt? What makes your entry a fair one for the people who make their quilt from start to finish? I'm just wondering because when I see these quilts posted from Quilt Shows, it is so intimidating that it has literally stopped me from doing something I enjoy. I will never be able to afford a professional quilter, nor will I ever be able to do that myself by hand or by my domestic machine so this is why I am asking. As I said earlier, I'm sorry if I have offended anyone.
check entry rules. Often there are catagoies that may allow for you piece, they quilt.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by IzzysGrammie View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone because I think the quilts made on this forum are so beautiful and I love looking at the pictures everyday. Because my life is not my own anymore, this is my escape. With that said, my question is if you make a quilt for a fair entry, and you have a Professional Long-Arm Quilter finish it up for you, how is that YOUR quilt? What makes your entry a fair one for the people who make their quilt from start to finish? I'm just wondering because when I see these quilts posted from Quilt Shows, it is so intimidating that it has literally stopped me from doing something I enjoy. I will never be able to afford a professional quilter, nor will I ever be able to do that myself by hand or by my domestic machine so this is why I am asking. As I said earlier, I'm sorry if I have offended anyone.
BTW, you bought the fabric, you cut the fabric, you stitched the pieces, you pay for the quilting-------------YOURS!