Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a quilt before giving it away? >

Washing a quilt before giving it away?

Washing a quilt before giving it away?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM

These are all very interesting responses! When I started this thread I had forgotten how much I handle a quilt when making it, not to mention any chalk marks, spray adhesive and/or glue that I might use. Washing it before gifting seems like a way to make sure I am giving a 'clean' gift!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:04 PM

Actually I was told never to dry clean a quilt...not good for the batting....of course this was over 20 yrs ago when battings were poly, not sure about the cotton or the new bamboo battings. But, none the less I would not even think off sending it to the cleaners.....(unless someone is making one with silks or some other exotic fabric)
Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Thank you for asking this question... so many great responses and I would never have thought of this! I've not given away many quilts, but want to, so I'm glad to read all these answers!!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM

I always wash before giving away. I love the look after washing.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:42 PM

Just my humble opinion, but like many others, I have/had pets. I don't care how many times you vacuum the rugs, you will always have pet dander/hair on your floors. I have given away the three quilts I have made, and I washed every one. First, I hand quilt and the quilts do collect dust, oil from handling, etc. I want to be sure the gift I give is "clean".

Jeanette Frantz
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Steam them.

Sometimes I wash them, usually depends how long I've dragged it around before finishing it. I actually prefer throwing them in the dryer with some wet clothes. Sets the color, removes any black lab hair or lint and gives it a fresh look and smell without all the wear and tear it has to endure banging around inside the machines when washing

Originally Posted by Juztme View Post
Does everyone wash their quilts before giving them away? Sometimes they just look so crisp and nice when I am all done, I don't want to wash them!! On the other hand, if I wash it, (or just rinse it out) I get to see if there are any flaws in my sewing!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I ALWAYS wash the quilt after I make it. I want to guarantee it won't fall apart.
Exactly. And I have cats, so I wash them just before giving them away.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 PM

I don't always wash mine. The exception to my rule is a baby quilt. I give the new mum instructions on how to wash. I do this because my washing liquid may not be suitable for the young baby so mums liquid far better.
One new mum also newly wed waited 4 weeks before she dared to wash. Her own mum thought it was hilarious.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:21 AM

Washing is the final test for my quilts, and I always use a color catcher even when I pre wash. Also I have 2 cats and a dog. Both cats think the quilts need their continuous inspection and the dog just sheds for general principles. smile.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:46 AM

I always wash too. I want to get the spray basting out and any markings I put on the quilt while sewing or quilting. And most of all, as stated, it shows any flaws. I made an applique baby quilt and after washing it I realized one of the applique's was coming off and I fixed it.