Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondering if there is a group meeting for fabric addiction?:) >

Wondering if there is a group meeting for fabric addiction?:)

Wondering if there is a group meeting for fabric addiction?:)

Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 AM

My biggest problem is the local Ben Franklin inside our grocery store. How can you not go thru and look? They have a sale every month which makes it worse...always 25-40% off during a sale. In fact the sale probably started today.

Hello, my name is Cheryl and I too am a fabriholic.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
As I tell my kids, the reason for all the fabris is - I'm ready for retirement. I have about 4 more years to work. My thought is I might not have the income to buy fabric when I retire, so I'm buying it now.
I use this same excuse. Except I have six years to go.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:20 PM

I have it too!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mcgeeca View Post
I use this same excuse. Except I have six years to go.
I did this, and I'm glad I did. I called it my Fabric IRA. I retired five years before I expected to because of layoffs due to the economy. At this point, I could not go out fabric shopping due to the budget, but I do have enough fabric to last me a long, long time. I also make quilts for homeless families and people give me fabric they don't want anymore for those quilts. I have a small house, and it is stuffed with fabric unmercifully, much to my husband's dismay. I am trying to clean it up, really I am.

One of my strategies to clean it up was to buy a cutting machine. Now if only I hadn't recently discovered the Accuquilt GO, the machine and dies for which have done an awful number on my budget! However, the results are wonderful! You can save so much time and it's easy to use. Fair warning, if you get a die cutting machine, you will want more dies, more mats, more dies, more mats... Sort of like an addiction, you know, except that at some point you will finally have all the dies you want.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 10-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:39 PM

If there is a 12 step program for this, we would probably have to stop and quilt it!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:53 PM

We are not fabraholics, we are just simply "bailing out" the textile industry, one yard at a time! I am in the process of reorganizing and refolding my fabric using my 6" ruler like I read here on the board. You know those plastic dressers with three drawers, I have two of those dressers full of just batiks. I have yet to start in on the other types of fabric. Yes, I am a fabraholic. My trigger is Hancocks of Padukah. Some times I can satisfy my impulses by jus putting things in my "cart".
Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
We are not fabraholics, we are just simply "bailing out" the textile industry, one yard at a time! I am in the process of reorganizing and refolding my fabric using my 6" ruler like I read here on the board. You know those plastic dressers with three drawers, I have two of those dressers full of just batiks. I have yet to start in on the other types of fabric. Yes, I am a fabraholic. My trigger is Hancocks of Padukah. Some times I can satisfy my impulses by jus putting things in my "cart".
Thousandsofbolts.com has a Wishlist, as well as a Cart. You can put things onto your Wishlist, while thinking about whether or not to move them to the Cart. It provides a sort of 'cooling off' period, without losing anything. . . unless someone else comes along and buys all of what's left, before you actually buy it.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM

I go through spells where I buy, buy, buy. Then I go through spells where I organize it all into projects, then I go through sewing spells. So, I don't think any of us really have a problem, just different processes!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Something to worry about -- what if one day every single fabric shop closed down suddenly and all you had was your stash and you'd been going through a controlled period of not buying anything new? Then what would you do?

Hi, my name is Verna and I'm a fabriholic.............................
Old 10-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
Something to worry about -- what if one day every single fabric shop closed down suddenly and all you had was your stash and you'd been going through a controlled period of not buying anything new? Then what would you do?

Hi, my name is Verna and I'm a fabriholic.............................
We need to buy more fabric . . . RIGHT NOW!!!