I quit smoking!

Old 10-13-2013, 12:30 PM

congrats! My folks both quit after many years of smoking and both lived to be very old, much longer than their siblings. You deserve a great reward.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Congratulations! I quit using Chantix 6 years ago. It does work and sounds like it is working for you. I can't tell you how happy I am for you! Hugs
Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Mary, HOORAY FOR YOU! I smoked for 41 years and quit in 1995. Tells you I am older than dirt, lol, but anyway, I know how hard it is, and you need to pat yourself on the back a LOT! I used the patch and a lot of information, and the fact that I wheezed all the time and really helped. Good luck on keeping going.
Judy
Old 10-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Congratulation! Soon it will be 6 months, and then 6 years.

I quit 3 1/2 years ago and I also quit with prayer and cold turkey. I can't imagine every going back to being a smoker although I do have my moments. But they only last about 2-3 minutes and then I'm good to go again for several weeks. It is then that I pray and it seems to be working.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM

I am so proud for you! My son was a victim of 2nd hand smoke and I don't smoke . I worked in an area where my coworkers and boss were all chain smokers. I was pregnant and had to breathe the smoke in the office I worked in. My theory that 2nd hand smoke caused his medical problems was confirmed when I found a study done in Europe where a DR had exposed pregnant rats to 2nd hand smoke and the rat babies were born with birth defects and kidney disease . My son weighed only 3lbs 7 1/2 oz when he was born and he was a full term baby. He also had two birth defects that had to be corrected by surgery before he was 4 and 5. His chest was caved in until it looked as deep as the grand canyon. It would not allow his lungs to expand enough to fully oxygenate his blood so he always had a blue tinge to his fingernail beds and around his nose and mouth. He was also born with kidney disease. His kidneys lasted until he was in his early 20s. Then one kidney died and the other could not handle the overload of work and he went into kidney failure and almost died in his sleep. On Sept. 2, 2000 he received a kidney transplant that lasted until this Sept. A child coughed in his face one day a work and infected my son with an upper respiratory infection that was so severe he was in the hospital for two weeks with a breathing tube in his throat and had been sedated for one week so his body could rest. His coughing had made him throw up and he would cough so hard he could not breathe, so his oxygen levels were dropping dangerously low. In the hospital they discovered that he was in rejection of the kidney . So he is back on dialysis and will be placing his name back on the Organ Transplant Waiting list. So you see what second hand smoke can do to one person just think of all the children exposed to cigarette smoke. After he was born and I was pregnant with my daughter, I made my father put out any cigarette he was smoking around me I stayed away from smokers if I could and my daughter was a healthy baby no problems. She weighed 6 lbs 11 1/2 ozs and was 21 inches long. My son was only 5 inches longer than a Barbie doll
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Blessings to you for your strength and determination---even with medicinal help! I can quit any time I want to ---I know cause I've quit 200 times!!! Toughest thing I've ever attempted and have not succeeded.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 PM

Way to go - I'm always in awe of people that quit. Hang in there
Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Congratulations! My last cigarette was 12/31/1987 - to this day I still dream I have started again. So I don't dare try to see if I still think it tastes good. Luckily my husband does not smoke and neither of my daughters do either. It helps when no one around you smokes. If you feel like you can't resist just put it off for later. It was easier than telling myself no all the time. Just that it would need to be some time later. Mind game - yes, but it has worked.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

well i'm very proud of you!! I know it's difficult to do. Wish my son and DIL would stop smoking too. and my Sister. Luckily I never got the hang of trying to get smoke into my lungs.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Mary,
I'm so proud of you!!! I know how difficult it was to quit. Congratulations!!
I quit cold turkey 25 years ago.
Sharon