Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter >

New quilter

New quilter

Old 10-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Default New quilter

I am a realitively new quilter. I have made 4 baby quilts. They all were variations of the 4 patch. This time around I decided that I want going to try doing a diamond made out of triangles. It looks ok but there is something not right about it. I notice more and more as I assemble it. I think it's because the triangles arent perfect. I am not sure. I am going to get a Accuquilt in Feb with my tax returns (we call it christmas in Feb at our house lol).

But until then do you guys have any sugestions? Any tips?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Triangles are trickier than squares because at least one side of a triangle is on the bias. Study up a little online about fabric grain (straight-of-grain, cross-grain and bias) for more info. Bias cuts stretch more than on-line cuts, and this can result in distortions when you sew.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

The main problem with triangles are the bias edges. Bias stretches and can be difficult to work with. It helps to starch your fabric before cutting, pin your pieces together to avoid stretching them and sew carefully.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this wonderful board. You will love it here.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Welcome you'll love your accuquilt. Joanne's has them half price today. I love mine.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 PM

I cannot wait to get mine. If I had the money I would buy one today. I love quilting but my least favorite part is cutting it out. I had rotator cuff repair in 2011 and cutting out the pieces kills my shoulder! But it is only a few months away. I will be so happy when I finally get one.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Welcom to the board. The trick with triangles is that you just can't lay them on top of each other and sew that line. Instead there has to be a 1/4" overhang to get them to align properly. Good luck. You may want to start with Flying Geese or Windmills to get into the triangle world. HSTs (Half-square triangles are a bit easier to learn). Good luck and hang in there.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM

Have you tried the accuquilt go? Or are you saving for the Studio? I had the Go and it hurt my shoulder to crank it. I tried different heights and nothing helped. I ended up selling it and bought the big shot pro but it's pretty expensive now. Might be a good idea if you can find a shop that has one that you can try before you shell out the $$ for it.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM

No I want the Go. I will have to do that. Thank you for the tip I didnt even think about that.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Welcome, from Texas!