Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Laugh or Cry? >
  • Laugh or Cry?

• Laugh or Cry?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 AM

My Honda is made in Japan. My Toshiba is made in Japan. Who cares where something is built as long as it meets our expectations? I care about child labor and fair wages. But country of origin should not be a concern. Workers just about anywhere are capable of building reliable technology, regardless of what nation's flag is flying outside the plant.
    Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 AM

If you have problems with it, no matter where it was manufactured, the company still should make good on the warranty. Here's hoping you don't have anything to worry about anyway!
    Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

I noticed that the lightweight Rowenta irons are now being made in China. I checked and all my Rowenta were made in Germany.
    Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Perspective: I work in manufacturing and they've probably outsourced it for cost. The assembly process and required materials list should be the same, as should the critical components and final result. Hopefully yours was put together by a fellow sewist and brings you eons of sewing bliss.

Does that help? lol
    Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    Perspective: I work in manufacturing and they've probably outsourced it for cost. The assembly process and required materials list should be the same, as should the critical components and final result. Hopefully yours was put together by a fellow sewist and brings you eons of sewing bliss. Does that help? lol
    I think the biggest problems with this are typically quality control and tolerances. A lot of time the parts aren't machined to the finest tolerances. But then a lot of stuff made in the U.S. suffers from the same two issues........ My dh has taken apart a hot tub and couldn't believe they substituted a cheap plastic part for metal at a critical join, exposing buyers to inevitable failure after a period of a few years and potentially costly water damage. The company saved less than $1 per hot tub doing that!

Last edited by Prism99; 10-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM

The deal is we are outsourcing all our cars, machinery, sewing machines, etc until we no longer can buy anything made in the USA. So we are getting dependent on everything we have on other countries, and they are making all the wages. People in the USA have no way of making a living. Also those countries refuse to buy what we do make, because we charge too much for labor.
    Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 AM

Our local Janome/elna/brother/etc. dealer reported two years ago that all machines are made in the Far East now...she may have overlooked one or two top lines, I guess, but she said all were....if it has the warranty and features I want, it will work for me.
    Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM

It's pretty much the same with everything. My Toyota was made in USA, most "American" cars are assembled in Mexico or Canada with parts from Korea. By the way, Janome is a Japanese brand, and frankly they have long been known for excellent quality. It's a global economy now, and a very small world indeed.
    Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM

We can't get away from them can we...
    Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 AM

No need for harsh comments. We have all overlooked things because we were caught up in the excitement of deciding on a new machine. The dealer lied to you so maybe you should return it.