Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to see better while hand sewing at night >

How to see better while hand sewing at night

How to see better while hand sewing at night

Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 AM

No matter which light you get the key is having the light shine on your work and not in your eyes.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:39 AM

YES. I did My son had a work bench light he didn't need so just bought a bulb for that and works well in my sewing area. Sometimes the way a lamp shade fits onto a lamp will interfere with the bulb. Thinking of buying another for our reading area. Great light.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:01 AM

Maybe consider a table lamp with a 3-way bulb. This works for me. I think they sell 3-ways that go up to 200 watts.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by pdriggs View Post
My husband laughs when he comes into my sewing room and I am hunched over my sewing machine with a miner's lamp on my head. Sometimes it is the best way to see exactly where I need my seams.
This is me too, only it's my kids who laugh at me, hubby bought them. I have the kind with the magnifiers and the lights built-in. You can flip the lenses up out of the way, but I do get strange looks if I forget to take them off to answer the door or check the mail! They make a WORLD of difference to me for handwork of any kind.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
Although we have good adjustable overhead lighting and lamps, when I hand sew at night it just seems like a different world. I wear my reading glasses but feels like I am almost guessing where my needle is. I REALLY enjoy this relaxing time at the end of the day for sewing on bindings but want to branch out into evening applique. Next morning, my eyes are tired from the workout. Any suggestions?
I use a pendant light. It is a small flourescent that hangs on a lightweight lanyard on your neck. You can tilt it to focus on your work. It does have to plug in but if I am in for a long session of handwork it gives me great light pointed right where I need it. Since I have had it for years not sure if they still make them. Google and see what you can find for "pendant light" or "pendant lamp".
Gotta keep these eyes working without strain.
Lynne from eastern KS
Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 AM

There are different wattages or output on the light bulbs and different bulbs, daylight, not daylight etc., so perhaps you need a higher output bulb in your light and also check to see that it is a daylight one as well. Not all Ott Lites are created equal. I definitely love mine, but have seen some on sale at times, I don't think are any better than a regular light from the description. I will have to say the daylight fluorescent lights are definitely good, but if you want close hand sewing at night, my daylight ott light on tall stand is great, not sure of the wattage, but it is enough for me for the time being anyway.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I have several ott lights and love them. While they can be pricey, hold out for a sale at Joann's. I bought a small one that is perfect for $29.... bought the same one on clearance at a Joann's for my daughter for $25. Love them!!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 AM

There is a new lamp called Stella. It has 3 different light settings to choose from depending on what you are doing and the time of the day. The light also has a dimmer switch so you control how much light you get. It comes as a table, clip on(a table) or a floor lamp.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM

You can get a great floor lamp that has bulbs like the Ott light at Big Lots for $29. It works perfect for lighting for hand sewing and I think it is a good price.