Vigorelli sewing machine

Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM

thanks for the link to a manual, Sunflowerzz.

neenee, what were you doing way down in madison. did you see that Vigorelli posted on CL also.

Jon, I will try anything. that grease does not want to go.

Miriam, do you still have that sledge hammer??? I may need it..... LOL
Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

sledge hammer vs T & S sewing machine
Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Frudemoo has a Necchi Supernova that was *dirtier*!! It seems to be Italian machines that end up this dirty. Perhaps they're supposed to be treated like this or they won't work right
Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM

I don't think any machine could be 'dirtier'. how did Frudemoo get that Necchi clean?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 PM

Madison is only an hour north of us. I did see cL ad and am always looking for thrift stores to check out, i liked Boomerang's and will visit again. Sat. I was on my way to Chicago to fly out Sun to Japan to visit family for 3 weeks.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
I don't think any machine could be 'dirtier'. how did Frudemoo get that Necchi clean?
I get in trouble for saying I used Isopropyl Alcohol but it works very well. If there's a clearcoat on the machine, it may well damage it, but there are only so many hours in my day and I decided I was prepared to go for it as long as it worked and the machine was clean and working well. The plus side is that it evaporates very quickly, so you can work out a system of using just enough to 'cut' into the dirt and getting it off quickly without dousing it or leaving it on for too long. I find it quite easy to be judicial about these things and am quite light handed (and have good eyesight) but of course, I would never recommend it to someone with a machine with decals or japanning. Stay away from any writing on yours with the alcohol if you decide to try it.

...and good luck! Beautiful machine. I'm jealous

Last edited by frudemoo; 10-16-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: ETA: The Necchi is called Barbarella (she was dirtier than a BBQ!!)
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
I get in trouble for saying I used Isopropyl Alcohol but it works very well. If there's a clearcoat on the machine, it may well damage it, but there are only so many hours in my day and I decided I was prepared to go for it as long as it worked and the machine was clean and working well. The plus side is that it evaporates very quickly, so you can work out a system of using just enough to 'cut' into the dirt and getting it off quickly without dousing it or leaving it on for too long. I find it quite easy to be judicial about these things and am quite light handed (and have good eyesight) but of course, I would never recommend it to someone with a machine with decals or japanning. Stay away from any writing on yours with the alcohol if you decide to try it.

...and good luck! Beautiful machine. I'm jealous
alcohol works very well on some machines - best to test in a spot that won't show. If your rag or Q-tip sticks to the finish don't use alcohol. Don't bother using it on the black machines at all. Alcohol and my 319 do not mix.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:25 PM

I used a cheap cheap Bug and Tar spray remover which I saw recommended in an online tutorial somewhere. It worked brilliantly on my newly acquired 15K88. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JenDale View Post
I used a cheap cheap Bug and Tar spray remover which I saw recommended in an online tutorial somewhere. It worked brilliantly on my newly acquired 15K88. Hope this helps. Good luck
the stuff I tried must not have been cheap enough - it sort of took it off but it sure was a lot of work....