Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with first quilt >

Help with first quilt

Help with first quilt

Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Help with first quilt

So, I'm currently 5 months pregnant with our first baby, and as are most crafty mamas got it into my head that, "I WILL MAKE EVERYTHING!" Of course, this includes a quilt. Specifically, an applique character quilt. The nursery theme is My Neighbor Totoro which is an adorable child's movie. I have the top done, but I'm at a lost as to how I should actually quilt it. I was thinking I could just echo the appliques. But the appliques are so large, that I think those need to be quilted too but I know nothing about quilting. I am a learn-as-I-go person. This is really how I prefer to go about learning new things, so please humor me.

So this the top of the quilt (the green is where it will end). Will echo stitching (I think thats the right term) be enough? Or do I need to quilt inside the appliques as well? If I do need to quilt the inside the applique, what kind of pattern would you recommend? I don't want the stitching to clash with the character forms or the fabric. Totoro (the grey beast) and the soot sprites (self explanatory) are microfleece. The rest is flannel. Thanks in advanced for the clarifications and suggestions!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441766[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1393586_10201472551148309_1999531911_n.jpg
Views:	1650
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	441766  
Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM

I think Totoro's belly needs a bit of quilting. If you use white thread and just quilt little swirls, squiggles, or a simple meander, I think that would look fine and not intrusive or distracting.

I'm intrigued by the soot sprites. I might have to check out that movie, my youngest is 12 so I don't really get to watch those kinds of movies anymore. I LOVED The Iron Giant, I think that was my favorite.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

i would start by quilting around all of the characters and tree. depending on your comfort level... perhaps cross hatch on the big belly and then quilt straight lines like rays of sunshine coming from behind him and going to the border. just make more bark lines on the tree. you have to do enough quilting to fulfill the batting's requirements as stated on the package. it's darling so far. be sure to show us when you finish.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM

You can echo quilt inside the larger appliques. Maybe a zig zag stitching near the chest of the large applique. Just one set of stitching around the round things in the lower right corner should do for those.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

it's adorable! The suggestions from the other members of the board sound good! Photos when it's completed, Please?! Best wishes for you and your baby!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM

What a cute quilt! The suggestions you have received so far are good. I am going to repeat the one about "Read the instructions on your batting. It will tell you how close you have to stitch so that things don't shift when you wash the quilt. It could be about anything, that is why you need to read. Some require 2 inches, some say up to ten.

Your little one will be lucky to have you as a mother!!

Dina
Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't bought the batting yet, so I'll be sure to remember to read it. We'll probably be shopping this weekend since we find out the baby's gender tomorrow! I'll be sure to post when its done. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:30 PM

I liked QuiltnNans suggestions except I'd do the echo on the belly on the larger one to look like the premarked ones. It will be cute whatever you do.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 PM

I echo what everyone said about quilting the belly. I would do pointy looking things that will make it look like hair clumps. the tree in a random rectangularish type of pattern up and down the tree. maybe quilt clouds into the sky area. to help make it secure. but deffinatly "stitch in the ditch" around the appliques
Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 AM
Banned

You need more quilting than the batting requires as I believed the quilt will be lovingly used and will need a lot of care in washing etc. batting suggestions are minimal use not necessarily used as a kid will use it.