Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Will the Real 15 clone please stand up >

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Free Clone Manuals.

Rose, You are welcome. I was glad to help.
For anyone that is looking for a manual for a Clone, Here are two good ones, and are free.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf

http://bypatrice.com/sewing/deluxe_manual/

~G~
That second one is exactly the manual I got with a couple clones!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I would not recommend putting cardboard in there as a replacement as it is flammable. The old plugs had a piece of asbestos that looked like thin cardboard there but often is lost along the way. I would recommend new replacement plug ends that are non polarized that you can get at a hardware store that are easy to install and are much, much safer.
~G~
Thanks, Grant! I thought I'd just put in this reply to add a little emphasis on this important information in case anyone missed it! When I saw what the plug looked like on mine I shuddered to realize that the guy who sold it had plugged it in and run it like that. Couldn't these iron machines conduct electricity right through the body of them?

Miriam, I agree with you about the discussion of what we paid. I had the unpleasant experience of donating a Singer Red Eye head to my guild's fundraising garage sale because it needed more work than I felt up to at the time, and when I mentioned what I'd paid for it (because I wanted them to get the best possible value out of it without asking way too much), the person organizing the sale assured me that I'd paid too much, and that they wouldn't be able to get that much for it. I don't know what they asked, but it disappeared within the first 10 minutes of the sale!

A thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and there are a lot of factors that go into it. If you're happy to get something at whatever price, then that was the right price for you, and it's not nice to rain on someone's parade by saying they paid too much. There's always someone who got one like it for less, but it proves nothing, except they were luckier one time.

That said, I've noticed that on this board, what people usually have to say about someone else's lucky find is: "I'm happy for you!" If it's a problem here, I haven't seen it. Just the same, maybe it unnecessarily causes some disappointment to read about someone getting the same thing for less.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Thanks, Grant! I thought I'd just put in this reply to add a little emphasis on this important information in case anyone missed it! When I saw what the plug looked like on mine I shuddered to realize that the guy who sold it had plugged it in and run it like that. Couldn't these iron machines conduct electricity right through the body of them?

Miriam, I agree with you about the discussion of what we paid. I had the unpleasant experience of donating a Singer Red Eye head to my guild's fundraising garage sale because it needed more work than I felt up to at the time, and when I mentioned what I'd paid for it (because I wanted them to get the best possible value out of it without asking way too much), the person organizing the sale assured me that I'd paid too much, and that they wouldn't be able to get that much for it. I don't know what they asked, but it disappeared within the first 10 minutes of the sale!

A thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and there are a lot of factors that go into it. If you're happy to get something at whatever price, then that was the right price for you, and it's not nice to rain on someone's parade by saying they paid too much. There's always someone who got one like it for less, but it proves nothing, except they were luckier one time.

That said, I've noticed that on this board, what people usually have to say about someone else's lucky find is: "I'm happy for you!" If it's a problem here, I haven't seen it. Just the same, maybe it unnecessarily causes some disappointment to read about someone getting the same thing for less.
Thank you - you put it into words.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post

You are welcome and I like the warning being bold and red, emphasizing the possible danger.
I also agree with the price conversation that Miriam brought up. I know that in different parts of the country the same machine will sell for different average prices. I have talked to people in Southern states and they have trouble finding ANY vintage machines at all. That would drive up the price on them. So, if they found machine X for $100 there it might be an absolute steal. Where machine X in another part of the country, the price might be $50 and it could be overpriced. Geography has a lot to do with value and prices. I have a good idea what is a good deal and what is not in my area. Also there are people here from other countries. Australia for instance. What a difference in prices! I understand that they have a hard time getting Singer 66 red eye's there, where here you can't swing a cat without hitting one. Thus they have to pay more for them. Discussing what you paid is not a really good idea unless we all live in the same area. And how much fun would that be competing for the same machines?
~G~
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Red face Salvage 1

Hi all....a little story, while cleaning out my in-law's estate, I found these two sewing machine cases. They were very heavy, but I opened them up and found these beautifully scrolled and shiny machines. They were both missing foot pedals and a few minor items, but I thought they must be worth something. I started searching for info on these two machines to see if I could find any manual or parts to complete them and low and behold, I came across this forum! After reading all 44 pages, I knew I had to salvage these beauties if not for myself (I never sewed a stitch in my life, but needed to many times ) for a friend or relative who was in need of a machine. I bought a foot pedal and swapped parts between the machines until I had a complete working clone. After threading and some testing I found it worked great. I then put it to the test and sewed some new velcro tabs on my motorcycle jacket. WOW! I was impressed. the only problem encountered was I couldn't get enough pressure on the foot and the needle would pull it up on the way up, but a light pressure from a free finger solved that issue. I am now happy to say at least one of these beauties will be joining our family along side our Singer Stylist ( which I just replaced the plastic feed gears in ). I haven't seen any pics of either of these models, so felt compelled to share these. The Packard is from Occupied Japan, the Coronado was made in Japan. Still gathering parts to complete the Coronado, tension spring/knob and belt so I can test that one. Thanks Everyone for all the pics and info, it helped me immensely!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442005[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]442006[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	442005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	442006  
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Alvina View Post
the only problem encountered was I couldn't get enough pressure on the foot and the needle would pull it up on the way up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442005[/ATTACH]
Welcome. Beautiful machines. I haven't met a clone yet I couldn't make work. Your Packard needs the thingy sticking up above the pressure foot bar pushed down and it will sew like a dream. You should teach yourself to sew. It is a lot of fun and can be very relaxing. There is a lot of info on line how to sew. Once you know how to work the machine the rest is just practice. The clones are the easiest machines to use that I know of. They sew on about anything.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:49 AM

Actually, I had it pushed down all the way for sewing, but I hate to leave tension on any spring when not in use, so I popped them both up. I need to get some scraps of material so I can lower the feet when they are sitting idle also. I assumed either that spring was weak, or the sticky back velcro plus the heavy leather was too much for it? It went thru easily on the way down, just lifted the material and foot on the way back up, also broke the thread a few times. How ever, my sleeves now stay closed while riding, and with the temps dropping, that's a good thing!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Sewing on velcro can be pretty tricky no matter what you put it on or what machine you use. You may need to sew between the rows and use a bigger needle - in your case a leather needle. It is just about impossible to sew through the sticky kind of velcro - try a needle lube product to keep the goo off the needle.
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about leaving that spring part down all the time I would worry more about forgetting to put it back down.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...o-t168663.html
info about sewing on velcro - you can also search Google for info
Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 AM

LOL, I think you have a good point, my memory sure isn't what it used to be. Thanks for the velcro link, I will definitely check that out.