Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other >

Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other

Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other

Old 10-19-2013, 11:08 AM

my older Kenmore has a vertical bobbin I struggle with fmq with it I use my babylock
Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Here's one picture of a vertical bobbin. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...obbin_case.jpg
Right and two of my machines are that way. I can't really tell any difference other than the horizontal (drop in bobbins) are easier to put/drop in and easier to see how much thread is left on them. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 10-19-2013, 03:30 PM

I now have a horizontal bobbin and have been getting eyelashes.....have been doing it without dropping feed dogs....it is better but still get eyelashes....I didn't get them with the vertical bobbin....both machines are Brother's.....
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 PM

I have a janome 6300p 2013. And a Husqvarna Viking designer 1-1998 the only difference is the janome has more room to move the quilt around . and I like the Viking for quilting in the ditch, the feet are larger so you can see the ditch . for f.m.q. i use the walking foot and raise the presser foot adjustment all the way up to move the fabric around under the needle .this works for me and use the ur fill thread. DottieBug
Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 AM

I had that same problem with my verticle bobbin Pfaff QE on a panel quilt. When the LQS tried quilting on the high end Husqvarna it did the same thing. After reading a post here about the same problem and the solution, I found the Magic Genie teflon washers and the problem was solved. By the by, make sure you have loaded the bobbin in the bobbin case so the thread is in the right direction.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:39 AM

Ive had much better luck with the vertical bobbins. Never gave much thought to the spool thread direction being a problem with the drop ins. I'll have to experiment.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 AM

the Juki 98TL has a vertical bobbin on the side and is great for FMQ, I also quilt on the Horizon 7700 and it ok
but the Juki is better. I've never tried not dropping the feed dogs or working without a darning foot.....I'll have
to give it a try.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 PM

Vertical bobbins (with an actual bobbin case) generally give better stitches than drop ins (horizontal bobbins).
Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 PM

I have a Viking 630 (old manual) with a vertical bobbin, and it does wonderful FMQ. I bought the fmq foot for this machine, and after a couple of months it broke. Not wanting to wait, I tried fmq with an open toe foot - it still did wonderful fmq, and has been ever since.

I discovered on another site, a bunch of people that had the same thing happen with the same foot (it can be used with other machines also) So that settled it, I'll do without. I think it was $40 or so, with shipping