Saving money tips?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM

So sorry to hear about that happening. My job had some cut backs and I'm now making less than half of what I was a few years ago. Money was not an issue before and now it is. We do not go out to eat anymore unless we are on a road trip. If we do eat out, we only get water to drink(we have a family of 5 that adds up alot). I make lots of big meals and hope for leftovers. Left overs are a free for all. Usually used for lunches(school and work). I buy in bulk when it is cheaper or on sale. We go thrift shopping when possible. Grow your own garden. We don't drive anywhere we don't have to go. No more just riding around for fun. Vinegar can be used in place of fabric softener and can be used as a cleaner also.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM

If you live near a pick up point for one of the food ministries, you should check them out. I use One Harvest Ministries and the food in great. A family box that feeds a family of 4 for a week or one person for almost a month costs me $37.72. The food comes frozen and you can order all you want. I ordered the more than enough box and 23.5 lbs. of food cost me less than $50.00. It includes meat, vegetables and a dessert item.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM

We got rid of our cable and TV and save 80.00 a month. I watch what I like on my computer and DH watches what HE likes on his. Most of the TV shows are available at the different network websites the next day. We also took out the oil heaters and put in a wood stove(only paid 800 for last years heat).
Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 PM

I buy the huge bulk cans of dehydrated veggies that they sell for disaster food storage. I write the open date on the label with a permanent pen, and DH and I use leftovers to enrich soups all winter. I also put small amounts of leftover veggies into freezer bags, and when they get full, I squeeze all the air out, and freeze. When I make soup it is never the same twice, so it doesn't get boring. I also buy powdered milk for cooking since it is cheaper and lasts longer on the shelf.

Instant potatoes, dried diced potatoes, powdered milk, dehydrated onions, a couple pats of butter, and you have a great start on homemade potato soup.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 AM

My kids think I'm the tightwad queen. I use cloth napkins, well no, they are bandanas bought long ago from hoblobby, I shop at thrift stores, dollar tree, reuse bread sacks, make my laundry soap, there are also frugal web sites, to check out. I'm on a yahoo waste nothing group.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 AM

Identify possible purchases into two categories....wants, and needs. If you really need it, buy it. If it is just a want you can wait or do without.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM

Google "Frugal Living" and you will find tons of websites with tons of ideas. Follow some bloggers....here is an example (I am not associated with this person, just found it while googleing). http://zenhabits.net/the-cheapskate-...frugal-living/ . Go to goodwill for clothes and other household items. I just went to Goodwill a week ago and bout 13 pieces of clothing for $65. All cute, in style and fit very well, and in excellent condition and a lot of name-brand clothing. I find I wear them more than clothing that I bought in a store. Also, see if there are any frugal living type yahoo groups to join to get even more ideas.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Shop with cash. It is harder to hand it over than plastic. And when it is gone, stop shopping until next payday.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Cut your dryer sheets in 1/2.
Use only half the amount of laundry soap it recommends. they tell you to use more, so you'll spend more.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Give your technology bills total a hard look.
smart phones, cable, internet connections...all of that can be cut WAY back.

We got rid of Dish and our TV's about 8 years ago and never looked back.
On vacation this summer we turned on the TV one evening (channel numbers went up in the 7000's!) and did not see ONE thing we wanted to watch. Try it, you might like it. Much of what we do over the course of a day is habit, not necessity.
Best wishes!