Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilt Guild - what makes your meetings successful? >

New Quilt Guild - what makes your meetings successful?

New Quilt Guild - what makes your meetings successful?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 PM

I don't know where you are in W Texas. I lived for 60 years in Odessa and know that WTexas is a big place. I don't know whether your group has enough money to bring a person with particular skills in for a program or trunk show.
Good programs, particularly if the speaker is entertaining at all, will spur interest. However, programs should be limited to 35-45 minutes in length. Remember the rule, "The mind can absorb only what the bottom can endure."

Skip the reading of the minutes. Your group is not Congress--thank God--and the only thing that should be in the minutes are motions, seconds and the result of votes. It may be interesting to the group that Ms. Gotrocks lost her 4 carat diamond, but it doesn't belong in the minutes. And putting Sunshine and Shadows in the minutes may violate privacy laws, so be careful. See how many people have computers and send newsletters and minutes by e-mail. Then you don't have the problem or expense of snail mail. You will need to get a newsletter editor for this and for goodness sake, don't gripe at that person.

You need an activities chairperson to plan exchanges, quilt block challenges, etc. There are lots of suggestions on the Internet. You might try one our guild did last summer. Everyone who wanted to participate brought a bag of scraps, big enough scraps to do something with, the bags were numbered, participants drew a number and got the bag that corresponded with the number. Each person had two months to use the bag of scraps to make something of their choice that is given to the original owner of the scraps (who also gets the leftover scraps back.) THis spurs some creativity. The things that were made included aprons and tote bags as well as quilts.

Also, why don't you try a mystery quilt? Or a block of the month? And a fifth Saturday sew day? What are you doing for community service?

Hey! I know you all will come up with something wonderful! froggyintexas

Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
I'm closing in on my 2nd year of quilting and it's been a blast!

About 10 months ago, there was a new local guild formed and I and several others who are 'new' joined. Us newbies have occasion to visit and we were thinking we'd get another 'look' at quilting, some skills, etc. and walk away from meetings feeling like we were learning, growing, etc. We've already seen meeting attendance fall about 30-35%. Our next closest guild is at least 70 miles away.

So here's my real question(s) -

1) what should the guild meetings 'be'? we follow Robert's Rules or Order, have a reading of the minutes from the last meeting, any new business discussion (mostly social at this point), and a 10 minute presentation by a guild member of something they're working on. We usually close up with a show & tell, which is typically the same 5-8 people each month. Interest is starting to wane as it feels to many that we're not 'achieving' anything at the meetings. Is there some defined 'process' new Guild's should follow?

2) what makes your guild (or group) meetings successful in your opinion?

Just so you know - I have lived my whole life under the concept that you don't bring up a problem without at least one option to make it better or to resolve it. I wouldn't mind being on the board or a committee, but I know working Fulltime at my paying job, working part time at my mom's LAQ shop, + all of my chores at home & a DH who has some medical issues, time doesn't really afford me the ability to do a volunteer position justice at this point.

I would love for our Guild to be vivacious, active, interesting and provide a service but I don't know how to get there with the constraints I, and we as a group, have.

If you have any observations, comments, questions, please toss them out here.

Thanks in advance -
Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 PM

There are so many good suggestions here. Our guild has a block lottery each month. A block and colors are chosen The background solid fabrics are all the same for cohesiveness. We pay $1 for each block we enter. We raise money for our guild this way. We belong to the Modern Quilt Guild and we are helping pay our dues with the lottery. There is a lot of participation. We keep the blocks at 12.5" unfinished. You get a ticket for each block you turn in. Someone will win enough blocks for a quilt. Sometimes there are enough blocks for more than one winner.

Instead of reading minutes, we have a blog that is updated after the meeting. Pictures of show and tell, swaps, etc are posted on the blog. We also have a private facebook page which is lots of fun. Lots of chit chatting back and forth and posting pictures of our blocks or what we are working on. Our guild is awsome and friendly. You can be a modern, improv or traditional quilter. We welcome anyone. We all help each other. We have a 6 hour sew day each month. We help each other sandwich quilts, help with layouts, choosing colors and more. We have become very close friends.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Skip the minutes, save that for a board meeting at a different time or the newsletter. My favorite programs for our Guild are the trunk shows put on by quilters and the demonstrations of new techniques. And of course, lunch after the meeting.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks everyone for all the input - I'm going to share these with our guild and see if we can become more cohesive and active. I appreciate that you took your time to put forth your ideas!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

Our guild has a meeting once a week. If once a week is too often, maybe every other week or the 2nd and 4th Monday (or whatever day you choose). The first meeting of the month is a "business" meeting. We have about 1/2 hour of "business" and then quilt the rest of the time. The other meetings you can bring what you are working on and there is always someone to help you if you need it. We also bring a covered dish and eat lunch. Two members each meeting are assigned to heating and displaying the food and cleaning up. It changes each week.
We have a quilting frame set up where we have a quilt top that is sandwiched and the members sit arount the frame and hand quilt. The experienced quilters teach "newbies" how to hand quilt.
We also have classes on different projects that are led by our more experienced members. You do not have to join the class.
We also take road trips to different areas to visit quilt shops, museums and shows.
We have a show once a year. We sell tickets 6 for $5 or $1 each.
We have a lot of fun and the meetings are very interesting.
We do not always work on quilts. Sometimes we work on fabric boxes, christmas ornaments, pot holders, aprons, coasters, etc.
The main thing to keep in mind is, every one has feelings and thoughts about things. Always consider how what you say and do will be received by others and don't be judgmental.
There are many terrific ideas already posted here. Good luck

Last edited by twinkie; 10-23-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 AM

WE have two women that do a mentoring class a week after we meet. They sometimes get other members to teach. One year they went through the whole process of making a quilt teaching lots of new skills along the way. Our outside teachers are getting to expensive so some of us have suggested using members to teach. We have some very skilled ladies in our guild. We have retreats twice a year where we do our classes. They are just Friday and Saturday. The guild usually sponsors an away retreat once a year. I would like to see a garage sale at our April meeting but I they have a speaker set.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 AM

We also do block of the month. Those who chose to participate get a pattern and if you want to spend $2 you get fabric also. I never spend the $2. I shop from my stash. Bring the block back next month and you get the new pattern. We also do a challenge every year. One year they did colors with paint cards. I forget what it is this year. I sign up and never meet the challenge. So I've stopped signing up.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 AM

I belong to a quilt guild in Central NY... we meet twice a month to meet, sew, do show and tell and share our ideas..
There is no meeting, We do have a lady to takes dues once a year and we do charity work for our community and have made quilts this year for the hurricane victim's. It is a very casual guild but we are 35 members strong. I come home from these meeting vitalized and full of ideas of what to sew, how to help others and have had lots of laughs, love and stimulation. This year we put on our first quilt show in the church where we meet and there was lots of positive remarks on this site from people who visited our show. We had 177 quilts and sewing items in it and had a tea and cookies also. Next month we bring in baby quilts, pillow cases and walker bags which we will donate to our local RSVP for distribution. I would highly recommend this type of guild.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 AM

Our guild has both a Facebook group and a Yahoo group. Members can belong to one or both, it is up to them. Minutes, projects and meeting reminders are posted on both. Minutes are approved as posted, or corrections are made and reposted. Project details are posted. It saves meeting time and keeps members current. It also enables them to have monthly projects precut and ready for sewing on meeting day. We also have UFO days where members can get together and complete precutting for projects. Our UFO dates are usually during the first two weeks of the month and our meeting date is the third Friday of the month. Our actual business meeting is at 11:30 a.m. and is frequently adjourned before 12:30 p.m. After lunch, we have the opportunity to continue working until 4:00 p.m.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 AM

Our group meets in our homes there are 24 ladies. The month before it is your time to host the group you hand out a block to everyone, this means that you have 24 blocks done for you. The blocks are returned to you at your home the next month when you are hosting. At the September meeting you are given a 11 inch piece of Christmas fabric by the person who won the Christmas blocks the year before. With this piece you make a Christmas block. You only have to use a small piece of this fabric if you like but there has to be some of this material used in your 10 1/2inch block. At the Christmas meeting in December a drawing is held and whoever wins has 24 blocks to make a Christmas quilt for themselves. At the Christmas meeting everyone brings the Christmas quilts to show. We also make baby quilts for an organization that helps girls who decide to keep their babies. We are not a guild so we don't read the minutes from the month before but minutes are kept to look back on if need be.