Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston International Quilt Show >

Houston International Quilt Show

Houston International Quilt Show

Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 AM

I take a backpack with me to carry my purchases, purse, camera, snack, and bottle of water. And definitely call your bank and let them know your dates of travel. I was in Paducah several years ago and one of my attempted purchases was declined. Fortunately it was on a Friday and I was able to call the bank and talk to someone. If it had been on a weekend I would have been in trouble.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jnagy1206 View Post
Is anyone from the board going to Houston next week? I am so excited to be going. I have gone to Long Beach before, but understand Houston is the best. A friend and I are going for the entire week. We are taking a couple of classes and doing the shop hop. So much to do in so little time.
I am so envious of you! It sounds so wonderful to go for the entire week and take part in the classes. Hope you and your friend have a great time. Let us hear from you when you return!
Also, thanks to Barb in Louisiana for those great tips!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

You and your friend are going to have a lot of fun - congratulations on going to Houston. Besides the quilts there are a number of places in Houston that would be fun to visit as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Default Houston International Quilt Show

I will be there Thursday - Saturday. Its a terrific show and sooooo many vendors. Love it.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM

It sounds like a whole lot of fun - I have never been but I love seeing all the new stuff when Market comes along - I keep watch on blogs and twitter feeds - you can get a lot of pics from the teachers, vendors etc. Have fun.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:04 AM

I will be there Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday through Saturday (and possible Sunday, too). I have classes and several activities scheduled. For all the information you could possible want, go to http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...e=FallFestival, which is the home page for the Houston festival. There is a link to what classes and activities are still open for enrollment, though you will have to wait until you get there, since pre-enrollment is closed. Also, when you get to the Festival, there is a board that is set up with notices from people who pre-registered for a class and cannot attend. If you had enrolled for a class and it was full, you might find a slot available.

If you are mobility impaired, Scoot-A-Round has rentals. There is a link to their website and you can call and reserve a scooter for the days you wish. This will be my 5th year renting one.

If you are going with friends and family, be sure you have everyone's cell phone number, because there is no paging in the Festival. Before cell phones, we would just agree to meet up at agreed times "under the American flag."

Sunday is a great day to go, especially to stock up on thread and batting. Most of the companies would rather cut prices than have to pack everything back up and transport it home. I got 7 king sized Hobbs batts for $100 plus tax a couple years ago.

If you can, try to arrange for two days -- one for the quilts and one for the vendors. There are also small classes for "make it and take it" projects given by various teachers / vendors. Cost for these is usually $10. Someone already mentioned comfortable shoes. Also, be sure to take a sweater or light jacket, especially if you are cold natured. The temperatures at the GRB vary from area to area, and also depend on how many people there are in a given area.

There is a large food court on the first level, but there are several small eateries on the second floor which are usually not too crowded. Selection is limited on the second floor, but there are also balcony areas where you can sit outside if the weather is nice.

There is parking directly across from the GRB (under Discovery Green), but it fills up fast. There is also valet parking, which is very nice and, IMHO, is worth every penny.

For those of you who are coming for the first time, welcome to Houston. I hope your visit is enjoyable. For those who are returning, welcome back.

Last edited by mckwilter; 10-23-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Because of fraud, credit and debit companies are paying closer attention to charges/debits. I was very imbarrassed when my credit card was refussed. My friend calls her debit company whenever she's making lots of debits. They're just trying to protect us by close scrutiny. The vendors are from all over the country, so it looks like the card is being used all over the country on the same day.
This happened to me last year. I immediately called the number on the back of my card, talked to the customer service rep, and explained why there were charges from TX, NM, AZ, CA, WA, MI, FL and Japan in the space of three days. After verifying the last five charges, they released my card. This year, I called my bank and explained what was happening to the customer service rep. She has put a notation in my file so that if charges from all over the US and overseas start showing up on my card, the company will call me first before blocking my card.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 AM

I live in Houston and have gone by myself. I park in the Hilton Parking Garage that is monitored by cameras and is attached to the GRB by a skyway.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM

There is a great food court in The Shops at Houston Center two blocks from the GRB. Food is definitely better and much cheaper. Not many shops there. Just a great way to take a break, get some good food and fresh air. As far as the debit and credit card things go, if your card is getting swiped through a wireless thingy, your information can get captured by an unscrupulous person. Happened to us at a gun show. I only use my credit card now. No debit.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 PM

Please take lots of pictures, if allowed, to share with us that can't go. Have a great time!