Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts on hand for selling? >

Quilts on hand for selling?

Quilts on hand for selling?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
The smaller the item is and the lower the price, the better items sell. I have found that I do get inquiries about larger quilts being made when I have small quilts displayed to sell like baby quilts, lap quilts and rag quilts. Good luck to you.
totally agree with this poster--my aunt made a huge profit yearly by selling small items at well attended shows. She did not quilt, but small item paintings(especially Christmas ornaments) and other little craft items. She always said that you need to find something that materials can get be gotten cheaply (and she was so creative on ways to use recyled stuff before anyone coined the term recycled!), love the process so that the labor doesn't seem so laborous, and then sell cheaper. Her theory was that most craft show shoppers come with a limited amount of cash in their pockets that they plan to spend--so those $1-5 items are the real "bread and butter" sale items. Not sure what that means in terms of quilt items! Good luck!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM

You might look at similar items on Etsy and see what is for sale. Then look at the Items Sold section of some of those shops to see what people have been buying. It can be very helpful.

When I asked my young daughter-in-law for ideas for potholders, she told me sayings were popular and so was the chevron design. That's just more food for thought. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 AM

I would think that fleece lap sized "quilts" maybe in a rag style with 2 layers could do well. Maybe in a local or favorite college colors or college themed fleece, or a kid theme. Or a lap sized faux cathedral windows maybe in blue jeans if they're popular there. Or any rag quilt or anything else that would go together quickly.

I would make something that you might like to receive as a gift or send as a gift - maybe Christmas ornaments. The folded fabric one looks very complicated but isn't really, and it could be made on a flat surface either for a christmas ornament or as a pot holder. Others have suggested table runners, placemats, ... maybe for other seasons as well -- snow, skiiing, valentine/love, spring/Easter, 4th of July, summer/swimming, fall/harvest/Halloween. There's the table runner that starts with a square and adds French braids
Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM

I run a home based business sewing alterations and repairs. Also do craft/table sales. As I am reading this the phone rang. Customer wants me to hem dog scarfs for the Christmas sale table. You might want to check out the oven door towels (made to look like a little dress) and the 10 minute table runners. I had good sales on those at this years fall fair.

Last edited by MisDixie; 10-25-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

I chaired the holiday fair for my church for many, many years, and also made things for sale. Initially, I did holiday table runners, wall hangings, etc.; then the people asked for more things representing other holidays. I made baby quilts, table runners, placemats, wall hangings, with a variety of seasons and different uses. Last year I had my own table to sell things and I made Bow Tucks bags, in a great variety of fabrics, and they sold like wild fire, much to my surprise. I did have some people ask for the bags when I first made them, so I did have a few bags already sold, however, I sold 11 bags that day, and I was ecstatic. This year I'm making a few bags, along with wall hangings and some table runners, placemats, so I'm hoping for the best. However, I wish I had a crystal ball that would tell me what to make that would sell, it really depends on the people attending the fair. Ask your friends what they would be interested in buying and take it from there. When people know your work they are more likely to buy. Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Lots and lots of ideas. Would any of you share what kind of prices you get for your items? I know prices will vary depending on the area, but just ballpark?
Carol B
Old 10-26-2013, 04:03 AM

Neesie said it perfectly. Lap throws are a great gift for folks of any age. I'd go for neutral colors, but I'd throw in a couple of bright colored ones too; like red and black. A college age fellow might just like one to throw over his feet at night while he studies; well I hope he is studying. I've had many say to me that I should sell my items, so far I give them all away; don't we all? I might think about it after I finished the gazillion items I've been asked to make.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 AM

Selling is the brick wall of crafting.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 AM

Pricing is very difficult as it varies by areas of the country as well as by the shows. At a craft show as a school fund raiser, you may not be able to get as high a price as you can at a more exclusive show. Of course, table fees vary a lot, too. More exclusive shows charge far more. You really just have to check other tables or try a price you feel is reasonable.

People are hard to figure. I used to do shows with my dil. She did beautiful intricate work and yet my plain old potholders sold much better than her items. Her items were wonderful and very reasonably priced but people aren't always looking for the intricate work. They sometimes want practical I guess. Bottom line -- if someone figures out the perfect item, price and location, please let us all know. That was one reason I decided to go to wholesale. I now sell all I make and I don't have to worry about the weather the day of the show or worry I have the right designs with me.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:24 PM

Every young girl I know , would love to anything Pink, purple and more pink.