Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to do with your fabric ? >

How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 AM

Great ideas- I too have lots of fabric that needs a project! Fortunately I seem to be in a creative mood lately and I've started noting fabric/pattern combinations. I have quite a few pillow case kits ready for a quick sew project!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
oh dear I must really be rear backwards! I always find fabric that says OH BUY ME then I figure out what to do with it and sometimes it takes a couple years .. like oh I want to make a blue quilt.. what do I have??? or I get in a swap that has a theme and suddenly.. tada I can use that fabric! I never go the other way around and pick a pattern then shop for fabric. never.. sigh should have known I was doing something wrong (really can shopping for fabric be all THAT bad? no no it can't is the answer). if I had Christmas fabric I would look for table runner patterns or wall hanging patterns. maybe you could post your fabric then we could all drool and kibitz.. stockings, you could make stockings, Christmas tree skirt.. oh so many things. you could send it to me to relieve yourself of the burden of making something with it. I always collect holiday fabrics.
you are not alone-my BFF says I am anal because I like to match and she likes to mix. I buy fabric I like and then put together a kit and a pattern to do. So far I have a dresser full along with 7 plastic tubs of kits. I really, really need to get busy and sew!!!LOL
No matter how a person does it-pattern first or fabric first-the result will be a beautiful quilt.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM

I find pictures in quilting magazines that inspire me to use fabrics in my stash or patterns that I think will go with fabrics I have. Other times I pull out my fabrics and patterns and start matching them up. Just this week I pulled out the main fabric to make a quilt for my DD and matched it up with fabrics from my stash was all set to go until I got a new Keepsake Quilting catalog and there was the perfect fabric to go with the main fabric. Back to the stash it went and a new order has been sent out for the new fabric. Just happy I got the catalog before I started cutting.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I'm guilty (?) of buying Christmas fabric when it goes on sale for 40-50% off, choosing the fabrics that attack me in the fabric store and say "buy me, buy me". I did a lot of damage to my credit card one year when a quilt shop was closing, and they had such beautiful fabrics that I couldn't resist. I also like to buy various "quilt it for Christmas" type quilt magazines, then save them, along with the fabric and then while looking through them for gift or craft ideas, I find the perfect use for that fabric I couldn't resist. Christmas is my favorite time of year, so I tend to make lots of gifts and decorations. I also keep the magazines because something may not catch my eye the first time, it will jump up and say "make me, make me" the next time. I do however, find a pattern, then go searching in my stash and then go shopping for anything I'm missing.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Since you work from a pattern, why not continue. Find the pattern you want to make and then, instead of going shopping at the store, go shopping in your stash. You'll probably find some fabrics that will work with the pattern so pull those aside. Don't feel that you need to pull ALL fabric from your stash. Just buy what you need to supplement the pattern. That way you get the best of both worlds. I use this approach too.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 PM

Lovely! What beautiful colors and arrangement!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Once I get an idea of the pattern I want to try, I will audition fabric, laying it out along with complements and wander past it a few days on my table..often will swap one out for another..its all in the process. I dont worry about UFOs or the size of my stash, after 30 yrs of quilting, I have plenty of both
Old 10-25-2013, 08:08 PM

I think I've only once decided on the pattern before I acquired any of the fabric! And by the time I got through I had done quite a few things differently than the original.

Most often I have a vague general idea of what I want to do with the fabric when I get it, but that may change drastically before I actually use it, however.

My biggest weakness has been to buy primarily focal fabrics so now I'm concentrating on getting blenders and other fabrics that read as solids to coordinate with what I already have.

It's getting to be quite fun to just go shopping in my stash!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:25 AM

I HATE WRAPPING GIFTS!!! I also found I had a king's ransom in Christmas fabrics...some of which weren't too stylish, as in 1987 style. I grabbed a bunch (unwashed!) and began folding, seaming and running a pull string around the top opening. Whappo! I now have a stack of wonderful, ready to use in an instant, reusable wrap sacks all neatly folded and ready for summoning. The idea is spreading in my family. I am handing them about for others so I can finally get rid of the old stuff .....and buy some new?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
I HATE WRAPPING GIFTS!!! I also found I had a king's ransom in Christmas fabrics...some of which weren't too stylish, as in 1987 style. I grabbed a bunch (unwashed!) and began folding, seaming and running a pull string around the top opening. Whappo! I now have a stack of wonderful, ready to use in an instant, reusable wrap sacks all neatly folded and ready for summoning. The idea is spreading in my family. I am handing them about for others so I can finally get rid of the old stuff .....and buy some new?
This is really a good idea for bags that will stay in the family! And if you have so much fabric you don't know what to do with it!