Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow? >

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Landers View Post
I. Some times I think she teaches like we are elementary students and then I found out that she was a teacher at one time in her life!
I agree. Well put!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM

I think perhaps, our response to Eleanor depends on our piecing experience. For blocks I had made before, her methods were kind of confusing. On others, I liked her way. (Speaking, based on my experience using her Underground Railroad Quilt book.)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by snow View Post
I have a hard time understanding her books also. I don't know why but she confuses me.
Me too. I think it is because I want to understand the why behind what I'm doing, to understand how the blocks go together, before I do the work. I prefer Marti Michell's patterns/books.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 PM

Most people find her instructions are follow-able. Sorry you are struggling with them. I did a Lover's Knot from her book...but it was many years ago, so can't give you any tips. Her Log Cabin book is still the best of hers. I only have a few others, but do like the ones I have.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

I do better looking at the pictures to clarify the written directions
Old 10-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Gay

well, I've watched the video on youtube and found it so easy. One block with 3 fabrics, the same block reversing the colours, and hst's on the ends of each row. I want the ruler she used in the video, it would save lining up the edge of the fabric for every cut. Anyone know what it's called and where to find it?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
well, I've watched the video on youtube and found it so easy. One block with 3 fabrics, the same block reversing the colours, and hst's on the ends of each row. I want the ruler she used in the video, it would save lining up the edge of the fabric for every cut. Anyone know what it's called and where to find it?
2 1/2" shape cut ruler. I want one too. Im not sure where you buy them at.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 PM

I love watching EB's videos. I made a guilt from her book delectable mountains which also came with the template needed. It took me awhile to figure it out. Most instructions say to read the instructions first which of course I didn't. Once I stopped what I was doing and read the instructions, they made more sense.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 AM

Are you left-handed? lol..I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I was able to figure out her "SUNBONNET Sue" one, though..lol...I think she makes things more complicated than necessary, but I do see 'in reverse', so thought that was why...maybe if you go to her site, there are some extra instructions? I gave up, myself.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I agree. Well put!!!
Before quilting Eleanor was a special ed teacher. Before I went to one of her lectures she used to annoy me, but after I learned this about her, she no longer bothered me.