Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
October Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!! >

October Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!

October Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Welcome Musicaljan. Glad you are deciding to do something about your eating. We have alot of fun here and share lots about our lives - and our joy of quilting, too. Next time you post, tell us something about yourself.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Okay, posting early. TABOO Tuesday (haven't had a taboo in a long while). Cut out all artificial sweetners. Check and read the ingredients in your packaged foods, too and see which you can substitute with another brand with no artificial sweetners. Read an article where the chemicals in them are part of our problem why weight clings to our frames, so... cut them out. Now, we'll hear from everybody about why 'their' sweetner is okay!!! (Stevia is a natural sweetner, it's okay)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 AM

You're brave, Kathleen, suggesting that one. No artificial sweeteners here so I won't be offering any excuses to poison my body with them. Now if I could just be as strong about not having sugar, I'd be better off. I do think a little real sugar is fine for most of us, but I know I have more than a little. The doctor's office is sending me a copy of my blood work. If the triglycerides are too high, I will have to curtail my sugar (again).

I'm putting flannel binding on a quilt with a velour border and a flannel back. It's a little thick. I probably should switch to a machine with a walking foot. It all came in a kit. I wouldn't mix satin and velour with cottons.

We had an Aldi's open last week. I hope they have Halloween candy. I have a coupon for $5 off $30 and I really don't need $30 worth of groceries.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the taboo, but I can't survive without my sweetners. I also understand that they can add actual fat to your syste if not careful.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM

Cindy I have been canning all kinds of things for over 30 years. I don't keep the jars hot. I sterilize them all and fill as I am ready. I used to do 3 or 4 canners full of sterilizing them, then fill them. I like the Ball canning book. I used to do about 300 jars when all 4 kids were home. Not quite so many now.
As the kids were leaving today one of the bus drivers hit me. She almost knocked me down. My back is a little bit stiff but I am pretty sure I am fine. SHe broke all kinds of rules. There were kids walking down the side of her bus, loading as she pulled away. I felt bad reporting it. I had to fill out an accident report etc. I meet with the director of transportation
etc tomorrow.
I have pretty much given up my artificial sweeteners except for an occasional Diet Coke. I wish I could do that well with my sugar. I think I have become addicted again. I just can't stay out of it. I have chocolate truffles and i can't stay out of them.
Irish our Aldis here doesn't take coupons. They mostly have weird brand you have never heard of. Most of them are good. We buy a lot a canned beans there. Ours has really nice produce. Limited selections.
Pat
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM

Pat, it's their coupon. $5 off a $30 purchase. I have two - one from the paper and one came in the mail. They want to get us in the store. It sounds a lot like Sav A Lot which isn't a favorite with me. I don't mind off brands, so it's worth a try. Do you mean canned baked beans? I'd like to find a brand I like besides Bush's. They are so pricey.

Don't feel bad reporting the careless driver. Any one working with or around children needs to super vigilant. We are/were hired to improve their lives, not damage them. If she doesn't have that mentality then she doesn't belong in the school system. I miss the students, but I don't miss getting up in the morning.

I had two daughters who could not eat commercially canned food. I even had to make their catsup. I have no idea how many jars I canned every year with a family of seven.

I cleaned half the living room carpet today. It looks really good but my sore arm doesn't think it was a good idea. It will be a few days before I do the other half.

I am off to bed early tonight. We are working on jewelry for the bazaar in the morning. Saturday is coming quickly. Chilly walking the dogs this evening - in the 20s. Soon that will warm, not chilly.
God night,
Judy
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 AM

meanmom, don't feel bad reporting the driver. Feel bad if you didn't report it, if someone didn't do something that kind of thing doesn't go away and someone could get hurt even worse!

So, when I'm canning, if I just sterilize the jars and set them to the side for the time it takes to finish cooking the recipe it's ok to put the product in them? The little Better Homes and Gardens book says keep them hot until filled and I didn't do that the first several years I canned but then started to worry about it. I've only done relishes, pickles, jellies. My sister and I went in together and bought a pressure canner this summer and want to start doing veges.

Terrible confession today, I had a bad weekend and when I went to work yesterday I just ate myself silly. I had eaten all my lunch by 10 and gotten into some candy. I really didn't care at that point, either. Good thing my DH and I go to the gym together, because otherwise I would have cancelled that last night, too. I did joke around that we should just quit and it's not working, anyway. He just smiled at me and, of course, by the end of the workout I had my good attitude again. I think I just needed to get that out of my system. I made some salad dressing when we got home for a small side salad. It was just olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt, freshly ground black pepper. It was just 'ok' but I'm sure a lot better for us than the prepared ones. I figured I worked too hard lifting those weights not to get back on the wagon.

Anyone reading about genetically modified foods and such? I was just reading that even white vinegar has changed because corn is used to make it (and corn has been genetically modified). It's a little disconcerting and it's crossed my mind more than once about switching to organic.

Here's to good choices today, everyone!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM

CindyA, I hear you. I started eating my way through yesterday. I just felt hungry. I need to carry my glucometer again and check my sugar during the day. I haven't done that for a while.

I did bring my crocheting to work today and started on teddy bears for DGDs. I have an hour for lunch so I might as well take advantage of it.

I haven't felt like I've made progress this month but the scales tell another story. So somewhere I'm doing ok. Be good to yourselves.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM

CindyA, when I was canning I draped a bleached white dish towel over the sterilized jars if they were ready before the food was. There are mold spores in the air that I wanted to keep out. I do use organic vinegar - my health food store carries another brand besides Bragg's that is better priced and doesn't taste quite as strong. I use store vinegar for cleaning, but not eating.

Yesterday was not a good eating day for me, either, but today I am back on track. I may have made a mistake at the grocery store. I bought Halloween candy that I like when I usually buy something I don't care for. Rain is predicted so I may not get my usual 180 trick or treaters.

GMO foods have been banned in Europe but we are so far behind in caring for our nation's health. I do try to avoid them, but we need more labeling to help with that. At least the growth hormones in milk are labeled now and are starting to be labeled in meat. It's easy to find hormone free milk and getting easier with the meat. What about the residual antibiotics in our poultry and meat supply? That's another thing that is starting to labeled in some brands so it can be avoided.

Healthy eating starts at the purchase point, that's for sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM

Irish, my ALdi does have a can of baked beans that looks like Bushes. The taste is close but not quite as good. We like the vegetarian beans. We buy a lot of canned black beans etc there. Also tomato paste. I do not like their brand of ice cream(which I shouldn't be eating anyway), it has a weird aftertaste. LIke I said mine has really nice produce.
Yes Cindy I do cover my jars with a towel or something when they are ready early. I do like the Ball canning book. I think it has good directions and covers a lot of foods.
I did report the bus incident. SHe was a sub driver. She will not be returning I still have to met with the transportation people etc. My upper back is a little bit stiff and I guess the bus jarred my ribs. My chest is a little bit tender. You know how your chest gets sore when you cough too much. Almost nothing there but I can feel that something is off. I talked to the nurse and principal today. I just wanted to make sure things were covered if anything develops.
I ate a couple of pieces of chocolate today. (nerve medication) The kids were a little crazy today. They acted like they couldn't do anything on their own. One of my IEP kids is still making us nuts. The teacher has her meeting with the principal soon about the problem kids.