Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with 1/4 inch seam. >

Help with 1/4 inch seam.

Help with 1/4 inch seam.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:57 PM

When I first started piecing a quilt, I have made clothes for years, I could not sew a 1/4" seam. But I had the strange additute that if I do not worry about it I would improve. Now I have a nice 1/4" seam, my points are nice and my seams match. I enjoy what I am doing and most all looks good. Let her enjoy what she is doing accracie will come with time. I am also a poor speller.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM

I found two things that helped me when I first started piecing and trying for the 1/4" seam. First was to move the speed dial on my machine so that it limited how fast I could sew. Also, I am short and found it difficult to look down onto what i was sewing. So I purchased two small rubber door stops and placed them on the back side of my machine. This tilted it enough so that I could actually see what I was doing. My 1/4 seams improved dramatically.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 PM

You sound like me, except that I only use the 1/4" foot without the fence. That works for me. I still veer off at the end of seams a bit too frequently, but I resew the skinny part of the seam to get the 1/4". No one sees it when it's quilted, so why not?

As you've probably guessed, I am not quilting "heirloom" quilts!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Try using elmers washable glue instead of pins to hold the fabrics together. I like to use the glue sticks. The glue is really helpful for matching corners, too.

My 'grands' have used the glue sticks when quilting, and managed to sew reasonably straight.

I forgot to mention that one of the things that I used to do was watch the needle go up and down instead of guiding the fabric through the sewing area. Of course, I thought I was guiding the fabric...

It took a while to beak the habit, but with the help of a 1/4" foot, I managed.

Last edited by cathyvv; 10-28-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM

That's a very well made quilt, and it's cute, too! The best part of the process is the memories the two of you will carry with you for the rest of your lives.

Kids don't have the same 'attitude' about learning something new (for them). They just do it as if it's the most natural thing in the world to do - which it is!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 PM

I had forgotten about the tipping the back. Placing a new thread as well to ask about the glue.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 PM

Default Glue stick.

I use the elmers glue after purchasing a very large bottle. I had thought of joining seams with the glue stick like Pritt stick make only cheaper. Would this work so I can glue and sew almost immediately. And does it wash out etc.
In UK Elmers glue is difficult to find I paid £70 for the bottle I have so I treat it like gold.
I want to show keeping seams together and then sew.
This is a ramble hope someone can advise.

Thank you everyone who helps , I really appreciate the chat.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 AM

How old is this person who needs to understand 1/4" inch seam?

Nan
Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM

I taught two people to sew and had them practice without thread by sewing along the lines on an index card. They learned to make a straight line quickly.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM

I like using the Command Strips for picture hanging for marking my 1/4 " seam allowance.
They are removable and re-adjustable when you need to do so. I find that I can reposition them several times before the stickiness is gone and they have to be replaced. They also don't leave a residue on the machine like some tapes do.
I also pin from the LEFT side of my fabric. I know that in home-ec class we were all taught to pin from the right side. BUT in pinning from the right hand side of your fabric, you are pinning in a much smaller area of fabric, and the pin can get in the way of any seam guide you might use. If you pin from the LEFT SIDE of the fabric, you can put your pin into the fabric farther and still not get it in the way of the needle when sewing. It does take a little practice to do it that way, but is well worth it. Try it and let me know how you like it, please.
Janis

Last edited by Janis; 10-30-2013 at 10:57 AM.