Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The lives and loves of 18" dolls >

The lives and loves of 18" dolls

The lives and loves of 18" dolls

Old 09-21-2013, 03:42 PM

I just spent some time and money at one of my favorite stores picking up fabric for halloween doll costumes. At least one mermaid, and two princesses. And I'm thinking maybe a fall fairy and a ladybug.... Unsure of the last two. I have not felt much like sewing lately, other than i went to a quilt guild meeting thatwasquite fun. Not many members, but it is all handquilting, so........i am learning to hand quilt. So far it is both frustrating and peaceful at the same time. In addition to learning to make even stitches, i need to sew faster.
Dotty-- your girls look lovely! I forget to decorate for the change of seasons. I can see what a nice difference it makes!
I found a boy doll on eBay, and since it's price was about a dollar more than a new girl doll, i just went ahead and bought it. I wonder if it will match my first boy? I haven't heard any more about the boy AG doll yet. I'm hoping it will be rolled out for the holidays this year! What fun that would be!

Last edited by nancia; 09-21-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM

I don't have any granddaughters yet, but I just bought some patterns to make some clothes for the 18" dolls. I picked up the basics for now and I can use scraps . I would like to find a doll to have for a model. Maybe someday I will have a DGD to give them to. If not then I will find someone to give them to.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Sewmom-- i see from your avatar you have a passel of boys! They are so much fun, too, but i just didn't get into collecting tonka toys.
My daughter will tell you she got a Molly doll because i wanted one. I stayed up nights making her wardrobe from the patterns i bought from AG. If you google American girl patterns, you should be able to find the free PDF s of the original patterns. I find that my almost dgd and i have a lot of fun with the dolls and it makes it easier for her to share her life with me. She likes my henry better than my fancy nancy. Next visit i will take two other dolls for us to play with, and of course, outfits. She has two dolls of her own so the 'kids' all visit and watch us play Wei tennis ( actually she plays and i model good sportsmanship and persistence. There is a reason i sew and am not an Olympic athlete .lol)
Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
I don't have any granddaughters yet, but I just bought some patterns to make some clothes for the 18" dolls. I picked up the basics for now and I can use scraps . I would like to find a doll to have for a model. Maybe someday I will have a DGD to give them to. If not then I will find someone to give them to.
NancysNotions carry 18" dolls for about $24. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+doll+maria.do It is nice having a doll model in your home for measuring and fitting doll clothes. Have fun!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 PM

Also, Joann's has the same dolls and you can use your 1/2 price coupon on them. Comes out to about $12.50. I agree, it is best to have a fit model doll . Then you'll want to have a blonde, an Hispanic, an African American , an Asian , etc. way too much fun!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:48 AM

So far I have not seen 18" dolls at JoAnns, in our local store or online. I wish they did because I plan to buy my DGD more and 12.50 is a much better price. I was in Hobby Lobby the other day and they only had 18" dolls where you made the body to go with the head, arms and legs. Don't remember the price.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
So far I have not seen 18" dolls at JoAnns, in our local store or online. I wish they did because I plan to buy my DGD more and 12.50 is a much better price. I was in Hobby Lobby the other day and they only had 18" dolls where you made the body to go with the head, arms and legs. Don't remember the price.
I don't know if you have a Michael's near you. That's where I got mine ("Olivia". - my granddaughters name) and I used a 40% coupon)
Old 09-22-2013, 05:06 AM

Extreme: Love the skirts! What little girl doesn't like to have a skirt to match her dolls. The fit on the doll skirt is perfect!
Ok Dot and Sue, now you are just showing off. The dolls outfits turned out great but the quilts in the background are to die for. I have been thinking of making a leaf quilt, love the way you framed each block.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM

It's so nice to see new people join us! As long as you are a responsible adult when necessary, there is no reason you can't enjoy dolls. I may take it a bit far, but i really enjoy my " kids". They have given me a link to a Very shy child and that is priceless! I have found dolls in so many places. Often they are in the crafts section of the store, or in toys. I seem to see them everywhere! Went to the AG store in NYC . What a rush! About eight or more women picking, combing, fluffing AG dolls in little salon chairs! Give me money and i can go nuts! Found a t shirt and hoodie for my favorite almost dgd's dolls. Came out with just a few little things, phew, it was close ! Lol. Oh, there was a two hour wait to get your doll's hair done. After watching them i just might try it at home, although none of my dolls have messed up hair, one advantage of being an adult, we are not as hard on our " toys".
I have made the cutest outfit for two dolls. One for mine, and one for almost dgd. Love the idea of matching skirts, so if you don't mind I'd like to steal it! I gave almost dgd some clothes i had made for her dolls, and she asked my daughter why hadn't I made clothes for her, too. I have spoiled her with matching outfits i could get inexpensively. I have a pattern for matching outfits, but time is short so the skirt and t shirt idea is looking good!
Now, does anyone know how to get pictures from the ipad to this thread? My laptop is on its last leg, or keyboard. So nice to see what people have made and would love to share with you what I have made, too. Sorry, but I got waylaid and never got the halloween costumes made. Have some lovely fabric! There's always next year!
Btw, almost dgd is the daughter of my daughter's significant other. I'm pretty sure she will become an official dgd soon. Her nickname is Lala. My dgd who just turned two is nicknamed Lulu, because both girls have the same first name. What are the chances?
Happy halloween! Be sure to have someone check your candy before you eat it! Be safe!

Last edited by nancia; 10-30-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
OK, call me silly but I ordered an 18" doll for myself. That way I can model the outfits on 'my' doll before I mail them to my granddaughter.

One excuse is as good as another, Silly! Haha. I have the Black American Girl doll Aggie -- never took her out of her box because I didn't want the grandkids messing up her hair, etc. I have a little 6-8" black rubber baby doll that I needed a mother for, lol! The AG dolls were selling for $45 when I first learned of them--much, much more than that now! But there's no calories and it's legitimate to play with dolls, no matter what age you are!