Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfect Piecing seam guide >

Perfect Piecing seam guide

Perfect Piecing seam guide

Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

My Juki has a compensating foot. Makes a perfect 1/4" seam. I don't worry about a scant anything. Needle does not move. It is a straight stitch only machine. I bought a 1/4" foot with the guide, seems the more I use it the less accurate it is. I really need to check it.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Banned

Look at a lined 3x5 card. Many have lines that are a scant quarter inch.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:34 AM

Try Bonnie Hunter's method. It works great. Use a file card to get that perfect vertical line. I didn't have the hotel key card so used a paint chip from the paint department. Just cut it to match the 3m removable strip. Works great on my FW. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...-saturday.html
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Quality 3x5 index cards have accurate 1/4 " spaced lines. Put needle down on the line and then butt a partial stack of "super sticky" post-it notes (the bound edge) up to the edge of the 3x5 card, when they loose their stickum just peel off a page and re-place. I used this fast and cheap method in my 4-H sewing class, sure helped those little girls!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra View Post
is anyone using 'Perfect Piecing Seam Guide' for scant 1/4 inch sewing?
I am struggling to have good scant 1/4 inch seam on my Juki.
Did you know that lines on an index card are exactly 1/4"? This is what we have the ladies in my church quilt group use, since our donated machines do not have 1/4" feet.

Also, in lieu of blue tape on your machine, the pull out adhesive part of the wall hanger thingies (memory shut down) works as a guide.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Old Spice
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Sorry, got my cart and horse confused. Did not read far enough to see my idea already posted.
That is okey, 'cause I learned how to post and reply.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM

I took the time to actually measure a scant quarter inch from my left most needle position, and found that the normal foot for my quilting machine gives me a scant quarter inch seam, but I still had problems keeping the fabric lined up properly due to my visual problems. DH was watching me struggle, and suggested using a strip of day-glo orange duct tape across the bed so I can line the fabric up and keep my seams straight. I got the idea of using a permanent ink pen to make a line on the machine itself, so that when I move the tape to change bobbins, or need fresh tape, I can just stick it back down following the line. I do turn under the end of the tape facing me so I can pull it loose as needed.
Before you all panic at the idea of actually writing on my machine with permanent ink, I did it knowing that I would always need this help to make my seams correctly. When I am working with other seam sizes, I just pull the tape, ignore the line, and use a piece of tape put down at the 5/8" line. My lines are color coded. This has certainly helped increase my accuracy when piecing, since my 1/4 inch foot is too far away for me to see clearly.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I took the time to actually measure a scant quarter inch from my left most needle position, and found that the normal foot for my quilting machine gives me a scant quarter inch seam, but I still had problems keeping the fabric lined up properly due to my visual problems. DH was watching me struggle, and suggested using a strip of day-glo orange duct tape across the bed so I can line the fabric up and keep my seams straight. I got the idea of using a permanent ink pen to make a line on the machine itself, so that when I move the tape to change bobbins, or need fresh tape, I can just stick it back down following the line. I do turn under the end of the tape facing me so I can pull it loose as needed.
Before you all panic at the idea of actually writing on my machine with permanent ink, I did it knowing that I would always need this help to make my seams correctly. When I am working with other seam sizes, I just pull the tape, ignore the line, and use a piece of tape put down at the 5/8" line. My lines are color coded. This has certainly helped increase my accuracy when piecing, since my 1/4 inch foot is too far away for me to see clearly.
I admit that I have NOT read all of the replies to this thread but want to let everyone know that you may remove permanent marker with hair spray.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:53 PM

I use Bonnie Hunter's method too and I bought the quarter inch foot with guide on it for my Brother and it makes a perfect 1/4" seam.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:16 PM

I don't use a scant 1/4. I like to use #50 or #60 thread or if all I have is #40, I press my seams open. And I am having much more accurate seams doing this. And this way I can use different sewing machines on one quilt without a lot of hassle. Before I learned this, I did measure, sew the test strips, and set my seam every time I started a new project.