Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread do you use for the piecing? >

What thread do you use for the piecing?

What thread do you use for the piecing?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
I use Presencia 50 wt. thread, usually in a grey or taupe for piecing. Sometimes black or white, depending on the fabric color. It doesn't have to match perfectly, only blend. Presencia is a long staple Egyptian cotton...minimal lint in the machine. I get it in 500 m spools at the LQS where I work for $5.99 minus my employee discount.
I use 50 wt. Presencia thread also. It's very thin and not linty at all. I buy the cones, also.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:51 AM

I use Gutterman for piecing - 100 percent cotton. When I first started to quilt I use coats and clark and had problems with my machine....and lots of lint. I read on here years ago that others had the same issue...I switched brands and no problems since. This thread is interesting. I have never heard of some of these brands. They most likely have them in the LQS I just have never noticed. I am going to the LQS today to get some fabric for my boarders for my blocks...I will now have to check out the thread ; ) my hubby is coming and I will only have a few mins to shop. We are heading out to pick up my ski boots which I had them put in heaters....Yeah..warm feet this year.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Usually when piecing, I use Bottom Line thread in a neutral color like soft gray or off white. Seems to be just fine
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM

I like Superior So Fine or Omni for piecing. They are the closest to lint free sewing. I will also use Isacord if I need a different color.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Like carolaug, I use Gutterman 100% cotton thread for sewing seams in quilts and for my garment sewing, which is mostly linen. A few times I have accidentally picked up Gutterman's quilting thread, which is thicker. It makes a difference in finished seams, I think. One of my favorite sewing gurus, Louise Cutting, recommends in all of her garment patterns to use 100% cotton thread for sewing the most professional seams-- after pressing correctly of course.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM

I'm a hand piecer for the most part, and I use 50 or 40 wt Mettler, according to color. My sewing isn't consistently fine and tight enough to prevent some seam thread showing, so I always color match to one of my pieces. I have done some machine piecing on my old Huskystar 224 and I use the 50 wt for that. I have some Aurafil, too, I just haven't broken into it yet. It was on sale.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM

I mostly use Superior Threads So Fine # 40 or 50 and Masterpiece which is a #50 weight. Both create nearly no fuzz.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:12 PM

I use Ecru or off-white for most everything, except Black or Navy. At guild I learned that if you use Black thread with Navy fabric, it is easier to "unsew"--take out. If you use Navy with Black fabric, the same thing. Would never have thought it. But, it works! Sometimes on pastels I try to match the thread and the fabric. But if I don't have the thread I just use the Ecru and it works great. Good luck! Mariah.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 PM

I use Superior Threads for all of my piecing work, and I love it. I use the Masterpiece 3-ply, 50# weight. It's very thin and strong, and I've never had a quilt "pop a seam", or anything like that. I also use King Tut for all of my quilting needs, and it's awesome! Nothing could make me change; I've tried every thread on the market, and these are my choices for quilt-making.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Superior for me! So Fine for piecing, (Omni is too thick for piecing but great for quilting) Bottom Line, Magnifico for embroidery. I love it all!