Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What could I make for Christmas Gifts... >

What could I make for Christmas Gifts...

What could I make for Christmas Gifts...

Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Likethedog View Post
Mug rugs with a coffee gift certificate? Or with a cup?
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaly3162 View Post
I don't drink coffee and rarely drink tea, so I wouldn't want a mug rug and the men aren't going to use them either.
Though you probably drink something ... they work great for any beverages, hot or cold, and protect furniture/desks from those inevitable rings!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 PM

Just a note about the microwave bowl holders: I've made--and sold--over 200 so far, starting with the boutique my tiny quilting group put on a year ago. I include a small tag with each one, explaining what it is and how it's used, as well as a sign on the table with same info and price.

They take me about 3-4 hours total to make, EACH. If you include choosing coordinating fabrics, measuring and cutting 2 fabric and 2 batting pieces, gluing those together (school glue, applied sparingly), quilting each piece with appropriate design, sewing in four darts per piece, sewing the 2 pieces together, trimming corners, turning, carefully pushing out points, hand stitching the opening shut, and topstitching around the edge of the completed holder, no way can that be done quickly!

At last year's boutique I sold 30 in the first two hours, priced at $7.50, or less in quantity. This year I'm setting out about 50--I'm still sewing them!--and pricing at $10. I've sold over 100 at that price already, elsewhere. I make it clear to potential buyers that I donate all profits to charity, mostly The Linus Project, and that likely influenced a few sales. One friend decided to sew some herself, so I gave her the directions. She was shocked when she found out how much it cost her for materials: more than the $10 I sell them for.

Last edited by suzanprincess; 10-31-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 AM

Applique ... I've been thinking much the same, that with them just sitting there at a show, passersby may not know what they are.[/QUOTE]

I found a little toy microwave at Sears that makes all the "noises". Kids immediately start pushing buttons and I explain what it is for!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
How about an ipad/iphone stand for their desk? Easy to make and vey inexpensive if you use rice for filling.
I would love to have the directions on this! I just looked at them online but I'm so spatially-challenged, I can't do it without directions. Plus, i don't have a smartphone to look at.

Grateful for any help you can send my way,
Charlotte
Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaly3162 View Post
I don't drink coffee and rarely drink tea, so I wouldn't want a mug rug and the men aren't going to use them either.
DH uses a small mug rug just a tad bit larger than the bottom of his tea mug. It keeps his TV tray dry from spills and/or condensation if drinking a drink with ice in it.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Smile labrynth quilt pattern

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have a big FART scheduled next Saturday at Marshall's Dry Goods.
What
is a FART?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by nurse Betty View Post
What
is a FART?
FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip
Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 AM

I think you can't really go wrong with coffee gifts. Especially if your colleagues are coffee lovers as heaven knows I am; it'd be a present they'd really like. I think Daily Cuppa coffee's coffee press gift packs make good presents. Here's a link: http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/coffee-press-gift-pack
Old 11-09-2013, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by johnscouture View Post
I think you can't really go wrong with coffee gifts. Especially if your colleagues are coffee lovers as heaven knows I am; it'd be a present they'd really like. I think Daily Cuppa coffee's coffee press gift packs make good presents. Here's a link: http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/coffee-press-gift-pack
somehow I don't think $24 a person times 13 people would fit into my budget, and there is nothing handmade. Is this something YOU are selling? It's very obscure for a quilter's site.