Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MSQC falling charms question >

MSQC falling charms question

MSQC falling charms question

Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Default MSQC falling charms question

I really want to make this pattern and have my charms all ready to go. I wanted to use fabric I already owned for background but when I did the math it sounds like you need 5 yards or 2 jelly rolls.

Where have QB members bought jelly rolls before and been happy? This is huge expense as the jelly rolls aren't inexpensive. I would need 2 white ones and also would like to have a lavender background for some charms I bought at Big lots. Any suggestions on where to buy the jelly rolls at reasonable price since the pattern calls for 2 rolls????

I really appreciate your help. The one with white background is going to be all polka dot fabrics and the one with purple background would be with nice charms from big lots. I'm anxious to get them started and see end results.

Dianna
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 PM

I don't know that there are any "cheap" places for jelly rolls... Have you tried EBay?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 PM

I would make my own 2.5" strips from my stash. Jelly rolls have anywhere from 24 to 42 strips so you could use your stash of white and WOW to make it more interesting and add in your own lavender too. You really pay a premium for having someone else do the cutting on the jelly rolls and I don't like the pinked edges on them either. I have also had some jelly roll strips that weren't cut properly so I had to fudge seams.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Power Poster

What size quilt top do you want to make? I just finished a Falling Charms quilt. I think I had 3.5 yards of background fabric that I cut into strips. The top finished up at 50"x62". At the beginning I figured out how many strips I could get out of the background fabric that I had and figured out the quilt size from that.

The next time I make this pattern I'm going to cut the background strips at 2", as I think it will look better. I don't like quite so much "blank" space in my quilts unless I am going for a very modern look (which in my case would probably require white for the negative space).

I have always found it less expensive to buy yardage and cut it into strips myself than to buy jelly rolls. I used Kona Snow for the quilt I made, which is $6/yard online from Hancock's of Paducah and they have a $5 flat shipping rate now. That would be $35 for five yards of background fabric delivered.

For comparison, here are jelly rolls from the Missouri Quilt Co:
http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/...now-jelly-roll
Two of these would total $65 plus shipping for 5.5 yards.

Here is the same fabric in yardage at Hancock's of Paducah:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-M-9900-11
which is $6 yard. 5.5 yards would be $38 (shipping included) if you cut your own strips.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-05-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 PM

I wanted to cut from my stash but don't have piece with that much yardage. I appreciate your encouragement of cutting my own to safe money. I will give it a try!

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
What size quilt top do you want to make? I just finished a Falling Charms quilt. I think I had 3.5 yards of background fabric that I cut into strips. The top finished up at 50"x62". At the beginning I figured out how many strips I could get out of the background fabric that I had and figured out the quilt size from that.

The next time I make this pattern I'm going to cut the background strips at 2", as I think it will look better. I don't like quite so much "blank" space in my quilts unless I am going for a very modern look (which in my case would probably require white for the negative space).

I have always found it less expensive to buy yardage and cut it into strips myself than to buy jelly rolls. I used Kona Snow for the quilt I made, which is $6/yard online from Hancock's of Paducah and they have a $5 flat shipping rate now. That would be $35 for five yards of background fabric delivered.

For comparison, here are jelly rolls from the Missouri Quilt Co:
http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/...now-jelly-roll
Two of these would total $65 plus shipping for 5.5 yards.

Here is the same fabric at Hancock's of Paducah:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-M-9900-11
which is $6 yard. 5.5 yards would be $38 (shipping included) if you cut your own strips.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Jim

Garvin Quilts is a good site for a nice variety of jelly rolls. They seem to be quite well priced. I have no association with them but check them out. GarvinQuilts dot com
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 PM

I would either cut from stash or buy for the stash. It would in the long run be cheaper to do it this way and you would end up having no jelly roll stripes you do not like. I did some cheap rolls and I found they were. Not cut straight , eg they were 21/2" at one end and 11/2inch at the other., the cuts were wavy( positive a drunk had cut them.) the fabric when unrolled was not the quality I had expected.(they were batiks). Also the dye came out terrible.

I am still waiting to find the courage to buy another roll.

If you want 2 rolls of white buy yardage or more and cut up.
I have never found the same problem with other precuts don't know if others have.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:28 AM

Since I bought my June Tailor Shape Cut Ruler, I don't mind cutting strips. I was calculating what I needed to make this quilt also. If I do 8 blocks x 10 blocks (52x65 not counting any borders I might add), this is what I need:

80 5" charms
80 5" x 2.5" pieces
80 7" x 2.5" pieces

Total 2.5" strips for the 5" & 7" pieces = 24. If I cut all of the 5" pieces first, I would cut 10 strips 2.5" x WOF (assuming 40" usable). Then I'd cut 80 7" pieces, using 14 strips cut 2.5 x WOF. Total background needed would be 60" of 40" usable width. I will plan on 2 yds, just in case when I do mine.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 AM

Take a look at 4myboyz.com. She has a lot of reasonable fabric.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 AM

Connecting Threads or make them yourself from your stash.