Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
“pick any holiday” home dÉcor swap >

“pick any holiday” home dÉcor swap

View Poll Results: When should the next swap in this series be?
Now! I don't have enough Christmas stuff!!!
0%
Wait until after the holidays, and have a signup deadline in January.
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

“pick any holiday” home dÉcor swap

Old 11-02-2013, 05:40 AM

Whew! So long as everyone is happy to semi-happy, all is well. I've heard from all but 1 person, and her partner said she talked to her recently and was is well, so keep checking back for more pretty pictures!

I'm looking for project ideas for something if anyone can help. I have 8-9 people that work in the man's office that we have to give something to. It's traditional that all the professors in the department make a donation to the pot, which is then split between all of the admin people, and the department chair (which would be the man) puts something with it from him. Well, last year I made mug rugs and that went over great. I'm just not sure what to make this year. If 3 of them weren't men (1 of them single) then it would be easier, since women like all sorts of household items. I told the man last year that unlike the previous chair, I wanted to do everything I could to be sure that whatever we gave them was useful to the recipient instead of just their spouse. It doesn't have to be Christmas themed either. The mug rugs I made last year were mostly beach themed. I could make the ladies something girly and the men something else, and I've considered a travel cord keeper pouch with a monogram or something techie on it & a grill towel that hooks on your grill & has a cookout themed item embroidered on it. Of all the scouring online the last few weeks, nothing else seems interesting so far. So, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 AM

drawing a blank.. you want to make it? why not bake it? they eat. lol.. make candied nuts. easy fast and well usually well received. or yeah mine wouldn't use anything quilted.. my boys put table mats out.. but only cause I made them I am sure.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 AM

It's traditional for it to be something handmade. I don't have the patience for that much baking for them.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I made a male cousin a potholder with beefycakettes on it. girls from outter space. came out cute.
the nuts sound great to me, or brownies or blondies. they're great.
men appreciate food items.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

the nuts sound great
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 AM

they do appreciate food. I just sent you a pm dustysmomma

We used to give company gifts of fancy paper boxes filled with jelly bellies. not cheap but those were anticipated every single year.. people would even say oh more black ones or more cherry, no bubble gum the list was so funny I had to pick the flavors based on requests. One pound to two pounds a box and everyone was thrilled. also I used those paper boxes from the craft store then bought fancy paper napkins. if you take the top layer off you can decoupage them onto the boxes same as tissue paper that is fancy. A fun artsy project. then I sprayed a high gloss clear coat over them and then the boxes were anticipated too.. so lots of easy things you can do that don't require much baking lol. my nuts take 15 minutes total and you can also add a hint of spice to them and make them sweet and spicy or how about home made beef jerky? men love beef jerky (those who are not vegans that is).. easy to do and well not such a bad gift knowing the guys they still have those mug rugs on their desks never washed once all year.. maybe they simply need a new one that is CLEAN.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 AM

Thank you Mrs. Brat! Hmm, ideas all over!!!! A new mug rug that's clean? Oh my, what a concept! I use flannel for the batting so they would be absorbant and good in the washer, but you're right, they are men. I think a bowl holder was a good idea too, but if you don't know what size/shape they have, it's hard to make. Same with a kindle/ipad/laptop sleeve. By the way, if anyone has a good pattern for an original kindle fire, please let me know. The ones I've found all seem to want you to have the device to measure from & I don't.

I'm so whooped. It's been a good weekend with a great friend. (I don't get enough of those.) I'm still sore all over though. I got my first dose of Humira yesterday. The doctor said it takes 2-6 months to feel better in my joints and an improvement in my psoriasis. One day at a time until then.

OK, time to go make the donuts! Have a great day everyone!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 AM

donuts? your making donuts??? BREAKFAST!!!! I am ready!!! sitting at the table, napkin tucked into the top of my shirt.. waiting for my share! hey who has my licorice? did you send that yet?? glad to send you something Wyoming like (have to figure what that is..).. in exchange.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Thank you Tam...Moo! I received your beautiful runner today with some cloth & a couple of Christmas ornaments! How cool! The ornies will go on my tree in the studio that stays up all year! Great addition to it! Of course, it's getting rather full with all of the swaps I do that generate them, going to have to get a bigger tree next year! The runner goes really well with my dining room too! Perfect fit!! Thanks so much!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Dusty'sMomma how's my runner doing?