Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilts >

Mystery Quilts

Mystery Quilts

Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM

I enjoy doing mystery quilts- only completed 3 so far. My daughter, who lives out of state, enjoys quilting so for her Christmas gift I give the fabric for the New Year's Day Mystery Quilt on the internet. She comes home for the holiday and we get to spend a day fabric shopping. She returns to Iowa and on Jan 1 we quilt together via Skype and enjoy the day. The first one I did was not the greatest but going into my to be donated box for someone in need. I figure I enjoyed the project and someone and need can benefit! Everyone wins.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 PM

I have only done one true mystery quilt, but I was very pleased with the results. The instructions clearly said to choose three fabrics that I liked and to make sure there was a light, medium, and dark. Like I said, I was very pleased. In fact, I liked the quilt so much that I bought two books of patterns for mystery quilts. Of course, then the end results weren't surprises to me, but I really like the fabric choice instructions and they have helped me select fabrics on my own now.

I did jokingly say that I can never really visualize how a quilt will turn out, so every quilt is a mystery to me. It is only partly a joke. The design wall in my head has never really engaged yet, but I am always hopeful that it will soon.

Dina
Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 AM

I've found that you can spend a lot of time and money and not care for the finished product. Look at 50 quilt patterns and decide if any one of them were a mystery quilt - would you be happy. It's taking a chance.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 AM

The only one I've done did not end up being a block I would have chosen, but it was a lot of fun to follow through with the process. It made a great donation quilt. I have also created a mystery quilt similar to a block I do really like. I've sent the clues via email and taught it in a class. Everyone seemed to really like the results. One friend has made it twice and won at quilt shows. That was even more fun for me.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 AM

The only mystery quilts I have done are from Paintmejudy here on this board. She has done several sizes and one table runner. Check them out by searching "Mystery Train Ride". Judy will be starting a new one in January. Can't wait.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 AM

I've done it twice. The first one was at least two years ago. I got it together and did not like it. Took it all apart and replaced two of the fabrics. I'm still quilting it. Getting there. The second one was a few months ago on Craftsy. I did not feel the design was worth the price. It was a very simple design, and I don't know how the woman who ran the mystery quilt could say it is an original design, but be that as it may, fool me once, fool on you; fool me twice, fool on me. No more mystery quilts unless it's inexpensive and I use all solid fabrics.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:28 AM

Last year I did my first mystery quilt. I did Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street, loved making it and the stunning result. This year her mystery colors are "crayon" colors and I have about depleted my stash of those in my Project Linus tops. Also, I follow her blog and I keep seeing "my" quilt! I can't help but wonder about all these same looking quilts floating around 50 to 100 years or so down the road. Bonnie will live on for sure and that's not a bad thing. She's the real deal. BUT, I want what I do to be a bit different and have been especially drawn to those Easy Streets that have varied the colors. I admire those courageous quilters so much. (Can you tell I don't feel comfortable with color choices?)

Because of the short days which I hate, the timing of Bonnie's mysteries is especially perfect and keeps my spirits up during the gray part of the year. I am pretty much a stay-on-the-path quilter and not very adventurous. This year I am debating over changing the colors and keeping up as I did last year or waiting until the reveal to start. Having a deadline really, really helped me. With that realization, I am giving myself a deadline of this Friday to explore my stash and try to get my reluctant head around choosing a different palate for this year's quilt or just not do it until the reveal. My fear is that if I wait, I won't do it at all and my Easy Street Quilt will mock me!

I am grateful to #1piecemaker for starting this thread. It is giving me the kick in the tush I needed to get me off the fence. My advice is try at least one from a designer you love and do your best to keep up. You won't get a true idea of how mystery quilting fits with you until you do.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
Last year I did my first mystery quilt. I did Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street, loved making it and the stunning result. This year her mystery colors are "crayon" colors and I have about depleted my stash of those in my Project Linus tops. Also, I follow her blog and I keep seeing "my" quilt! I can't help but wonder about all these same looking quilts floating around 50 to 100 years or so down the road. Bonnie will live on for sure and that's not a bad thing. She's the real deal. BUT, I want what I do to be a bit different and have been especially drawn to those Easy Streets that have varied the colors. I admire those courageous quilters so much. (Can you tell I don't feel comfortable with color choices?)

Because of the short days which I hate, the timing of Bonnie's mysteries is especially perfect and keeps my spirits up during the gray part of the year. I am pretty much a stay-on-the-path quilter and not very adventurous. This year I am debating over changing the colors and keeping up as I did last year or waiting until the reveal to start. Having a deadline really, really helped me. With that realization, I am giving myself a deadline of this Friday to explore my stash and try to get my reluctant head around choosing a different palate for this year's quilt or just not do it until the reveal. My fear is that if I wait, I won't do it at all and my Easy Street Quilt will mock me!

I am grateful to #1piecemaker for starting this thread. It is giving me the kick in the tush I needed to get me off the fence. My advice is try at least one from a designer you love and do your best to keep up. You won't get a true idea of how mystery quilting fits with you until you do.
I'm glad I started this thread too. I have seen some beautiful quilts and heard a lot of varied responses. I have learned some things too. I might just give it a whirl.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Go to Bonnie Hunters Quiltville and look at her past mystery quilts. Several are still listed there. Are they something you would like? Also here on QB Paintmejudy will be starting a mystery quilt first of the year. She calls them mystery quilt train ride. Here is the link to the newest thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...p-t215243.html
Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM

I'll admit I only consider doing them after they are no longer a mystery -- that is, after all the clues have been issued and I can see the final product. Not so much a mystery -- eh? But at least I know whether to invest my time in it.