Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to look for at IKEA >

What to look for at IKEA

What to look for at IKEA

Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 PM

I have the greatest cubby system with a large work table attached. My supplies are all at hand. What is great is you can add to the system if more room is needed. I do not remember the exact price, but was very reasonable at ikea
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM

I like the scratch and dent area . At my local store, it's located near the checkout.

If it's storage or furniture you need and you can bring it home same day (?) , make sure you have all measurements with you. Everything always looks smaller in the big store compared to the real space of home.

The kitchen dept has great see-through containers that might me something you wish to keep stuff in.

I highly recommend you take a written list and prioritize. I always spend WAY more time in IKEA than I intend, even if all I come out with are a toilet bowl brush and a gardening kneeling pad!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM

I go in the back way, directly to the kitchen/bath area. That's where the fabric is. Take a look at it, you might find something you like. Also the sheet sets and duvet covers. The fabric is really interesting. Upstairs is the cafe and the kids toys. They have the wooden train sets that connect to the major brands, at very reasonable prices. The rest of upstairs is settings of furniture. I wouldn't go there unless you want to look at desks/tables. Be sure to look at the map and look for the short cuts. Bookcases are available in the self surface area. I wouldn't be surprised if the table tops and legs aren't there, too. We like the Billy and Ivar bookcases.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=yngldy;6388682]If it is the IKEA in Charlotte area, afterwards, head west/south (I think, I'm in CA) about 30 minutes (google it for directions) and you will come to Gastonia where Mary Jo's is. Blow your mind fabric store![/

We stopped at Mary Jo's Saturday on our way to Hilton Head!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:09 PM

I was just at IKEA a couple of weeks ago, shopping with my son for his new apartment. I tried to talk him into that Raskog cart to use as an end table, but he thought it was to, "girlie," for him. I was tempted to go back and get it for myself! It's so cute! We didn't find much for him that day, but I've found lots of things at IKEA over the years. I love their lighting, lamps, storage stuff and the kitchenware down in the basement. (Wine glasses $1.50, plates and cereal bowls 79 cents each, cutting board for a buck...it's kinda like going to a hip dollar store.) The furniture is more hit and miss. Some of it is great and other pieces we have owned have fallen apart quickly. It was used in the kids' rooms, so I can't really complain. They were pretty rough on things and it was cheap.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
If it is the IKEA in Charlotte area, afterwards, head west/south (I think, I'm in CA) about 30 minutes (google it for directions) and you will come to Gastonia where Mary Jo's is. Blow your mind fabric store!
oh my gosh, you MUST go to Mary Jo's. Forget IKEA, Mary Jo's is the place! The IKEA in Charlotte is huge and you have to wind through the entire store. No just running to a partucular section....but they do have a lot of cool stuff.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 PM

The Jansjo lamp is great. It sells at IKEA for $9.99 and works great. Bonnie Hunter recommended them.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 AM

I have been a huge IKEA fan for many years and have often referred board members there for any particular item, especially Expedit or Billy storage systems. When you walk in, you do have a choice of stairs or elevator after grabbing a specialized cart that easily holds their shopping tote bags. After exiting the elevator or reaching the top step, you will see more shopping bags, rulers, pencils and catalogs on display. Every IKEA store I have ever been to, and we're talking ALOT!! has the choice to skip a department with 'short cut' signs hanging from the ceilings. I NEVER shortcut, as you never know what's waiting for you just around the next bend!!
I purchased my daughter's (both of them) bedroom furniture sets more than 22 years ago and now that they are both out of the house, that furniture went with them and is all STILL holding up beautifully!! Yes, it was very inexpensive, but very STURDY as well. I remember paying $69 for one of the 3-drawer dressers in a soft gray color. It was super easy to assemble. I also bought the double dressers, nightstands and beds to match.
Less than a month ago, while in Florida visiting my parents, they donated their $1,600.00 Sleep Number very uncomfortable mattress and replaced it with the Sultan Finnvik memory foam queen size for less than $400. After sleeping on it the first night, they were so completely happy with their purchase!! No back pain for mom!!
I could go on and on, but I know some will love IKEA, some not so much. If you have not been there, treat yourself, but prepare to spend a couple of hours. And have a meal there!! The food is amazing!!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Fabricbug View Post
I'm heading to NC and while the grandkids are in school I'm going to IKEA. I know the store is huge and will have some time but not hours. What are some things that would be good for using in my quilt cabin? Thanks for your ideas. FB
You will have a great time at Ikea!
I Love, Love, Love the Norden Gateleg Table for my sewing room. I put wheels on it so I can roll it to my sewing machine to support the quilt while quilting. I also use it as a cutting table. I am only 5'3'' so with the caster wheels added, the height works well. I saw this table on a quilting blog. The 6 drawers hold all the quilting supplies...long and deep. The table is solid birch-wood. Beware, the box is heavy. The best feature is the long sides that extend fold down and the table doesn't take up much space. Love That since I have a small sew room.

Go to the Ikea web site to see the table and its dimensions. I purchased the Natural wood. The White was more expensive. I paid $179. sku/product # 201.047.18 Have a fun time in NC. I live in NC.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 AM

The just under $4 fleece blankets make excellent backings for charity quilts.