Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feed sack fabric - who remembers? >

Feed sack fabric - who remembers?

Feed sack fabric - who remembers?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 AM

My mother had a skirt she made of the material on the bottom (paisley). I used to go to town with my grandfather in a horse and buggy to the grist mill to pick up flour and of course the bags were important. I am seventy four.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Lucky you! Feed sacks with family history! I collect them but mine are finds on ebay or at antique shops. I am planning to make a quilt soon with them. I do have a quilt made of feedsacks that my mother made...it is a treasure for me. She is now in Hospice and almost 96 yrs old. I am sorry to say she is sort of lost to us now...not a lot of what she says makes any sense. She has forgotten how to answer the phone and I know one day soon she won't know who I am anymore.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Oh those are beautiful, and the backstory makes them even more special. Linda your blue and yellow quilt is gorgeous!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 AM

what a wonderful story and I would love to own a few. I collect old table cloths then am afraid of using them for fear of spots getting on them. My mother used flour sacks to make table cloths with, they are so .. soft? I still have one. I can't wait to see what you create out of your treasure. You are so fortunate to have so many to work with. and to those of you with too many if you are interested in selling one of more PM me I will gladly take some off your hands.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:34 AM

My grandfather had a feed and grain store years ago. When grain was delivered, he would take my grandmother to the train car where she would select the prints she wanted. He then took those to farms where they wanted him to pour the grain in to bins, ane then he took the bags back to Nana to make clothing for me and my sister, aprons for the church guild to sell and marvelous pillow cases among other things. Feedsacks, or grainbags as they were called around here, were soft and yet sturdy. I'd love to sleep on a pillow covered with one of these today!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Sew beautiful! What a treasure find and perfect for this time of year!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 AM

What a treasure to find - bet you are wishing they had moved sooner!!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

can anyone explain to me how to recognize feed sacks? i'm a little too young to remember them
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
Lucky you! Feed sacks with family history! I collect them but mine are finds on ebay or at antique shops. I am planning to make a quilt soon with them. I do have a quilt made of feedsacks that my mother made...it is a treasure for me. She is now in Hospice and almost 96 yrs old. I am sorry to say she is sort of lost to us now...not a lot of what she says makes any sense. She has forgotten how to answer the phone and I know one day soon she won't know who I am anymore.
My dad managed the A&P in Yorkville during the 40s and my sister and I had many a dress and matching panty made by my mother out of feed sacks. My dad would barter with the local farmers to get the prettiest prints.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM

My Granny in Oklahoma made us all a quilt as a high school graduation present. I received mine in 1953 and it is still my favorite. She taught us all to piece and sew and later on to quilt by hand. What a blessing we had....Hugs