Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to look for at IKEA >

What to look for at IKEA

What to look for at IKEA

Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Cannot find the bendable lamps on the website, but go to Bonnie Hunters Quiltville and look around. She uses them.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM

If you go to their web page ahead of time, you can sign up for the IKEA FAMILY program which gets you a few additional discounts & perks. http://info.ikea-usa.com/FAMILY/?src=ikea_web

The first time I went was a little overwhelming. At my store (and I think most), the top level is the show room. If you are buying furniture & bigger things you'll need to write down the numbers about where the actual units are downstairs. Downstairs is the Marketplace that has tons of things for sale - from spoons, cups, linens, picture frames, etc. And then after you get through the Marketplace is the warehouse area where you pick up all the larger items. You'll need to know what aisle & bin the items are located in. Then you go through to the register area. The scratch & dent section is usually right before the registers.

Have fun!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Default Ikea

Originally Posted by Fabricbug View Post
I'm heading to NC and while the grandkids are in school I'm going to IKEA. I know the store is huge and will have some time but not hours. What are some things that would be good for using in my quilt cabin? Thanks for your ideas. FB
I bought a long table that wrapped around a corner. It was made for a computer but I used it as a sewing and quilting table I have two sewing machines and one embroidery machine so I have room to leave them all out.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Hi Fabricbug, if time is limited then get a catalogue if possible.They have great storage ideas and provided most of the fittings for my very small sewing room.Letty x
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Banned

Check their fabric selection in the drapery department. They have a line of solid colors that may be ok for quilting.
I bought a piece of fabric with white back ground with angles in silver/grey - like the weathervane which is quilting weight. I will quilt it all over and not cut it up. Their fabric is 60" wide and it was $2.99 per yd. Our local no longer carries the lighter weight fabric - more drapery weight but you might be lucky. I also bought a 4 pack of thread for $2.99 that is primary colors and good thread.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 PM

I just went to the one in Charlotte, and got a chair for my sewing machine that was on wheels, it was on sale for $20.00 I was thrilled since I don't have a lot of $'s also a floor lamp
Old 11-06-2013, 03:23 PM

IKEA is one of our favorite places to spend a few hours. We've found chairs, lamps, fabrics, kitchen supplies/equipment, bulbs for the lamps, furniture for the living room and even the bathroom. I made my sewing machine using two of the three-drawer MALM chest of drawers. They are nineteen inches deep, so I had a sheet of 3/4" plywood cut into two pieces eight feet long. I stacked them together to make a table top 1 1/2" thick. The eight-foot length allowed me to spread the chest of drawers apart enough to give me plenty of knee space. [The extra piece of plywood made an eight-foot bookshelf for my older grandson.] The extra bonus using this method is that I have six (!!) drawers for holding my tailor's ham, extra thread and fabric, jars of buttons, etc. I will try to get my daughter to come over with camera and take pictures. The whole thing was less than $200 and I don't even have to think about the table wobbling or "dancing" when I really want to do a fast seam. One warning about IKEA: it is not a fifteen-minute stopover. My wife and I usually plan on at least two to three hours -- and we pretty much know the layout of the store and the shortcuts that will take us where we want to go. Just plunge in and have fun!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I think I wouldn't even want to walk in the door with out a list. You can find things in the on line catalog or you can go on line and "join" and they will send you a catalog - it took a while to get a catalog but we did get one. That light is really nice - I found mine in two locations in the store. We also bought a light that hangs on the wall - we like them both. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/ you can search IKEA and what ever item you are looking for. It pays to shop on line ahead of time - they do have people who will help you find things. There are a lot of impulse buy items. I think you might also like to look up "IKEA hacks" and "IKEA hacker" on line for some really great ideas what to do with IKEA stuff. Some people even 'hack' the IKEA bags. You can also search on line for IKEA sewing room ideas and then hit images.

Last edited by miriam; 11-07-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:30 AM

youngduncan: waiting for pictures of your sewing "desk". Sounds interesting.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 AM

Default lamps with bendable arm

I agree! I got 2 of these lamps and LOVE them!