Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 AM

Tessagin, I am so sorry you had that awful experience. Sometimes Christians are their own worst enemy. Those ladies were definitely not following Jesus' teachings that can be read in Matthew telling us how to lead a Christian life. I hope you can find a group that is close by and accepting of all people. FYI, I have quit going to my church's quilting and women'd groups. Too rigid. A group will help you get your mind off things, so I hope you find one soon.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:33 AM

Well, I just consider the "Quilting Board" as my on-line Quilting Guild. I started quilting when I retired and wanted to find a group that wouldn't find my quilting "not meeting their expectations" and you all are the best Quilt Guild there ever was for a beginning quilter. You answer questions (with no eye brows raised like "what are you thinking"), praise all of us beginning quilters as well as the skilled ladies (who I envy greatly) and are here with just a click of a button no matter sun or snow or rain. Thank you for being my "Quilt Guild"!!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 AM

I have been trying to find a quilting group in my area, Long Island's south shore, Exit 68 off the Long Island Expressway, but have found nothing listed but for the LIQS based out of Rockville Center/Freeport area. I'm not looking for anything so structured, but a nice group of local people who share my love of fabrics/quilting/community service, etc. My comfort zone of travel would be Patchogue to Eastport and north to Manorville/Yaphank. There is an occasional posting in my local library, but those meetings always seem to fall apart with 'no shows' - so sad!

Last edited by Debbie C; 11-06-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 AM

Guilds are just like other organizations with minutes, ongoing business, etc. Not my idea of fun.
Give me a nice little group that meets in each others homes and swaps ideas etc. I sure miss my little group that I moved away from. I learned from them and them from me. We did wounded warrior quilts that we donated to the local vet hospital not the big organization with all the rules and expense involved.
Wish I could find local quilters here.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Same thing happened to me. After going to the quilt show held here in February, I asked about joining. They invited me to the next meeting to see if I wanted to join. I was not informed I had to bring "samples" of my work and do a "show and tell". I lugged my sewing machine in case I was going to use it. I saw a couple people I knew who immediately acted like they didn't know me. I mean I've known them for many years but truly standoffish. Didn't take long and I didn't even take my sewing machine out. I never saw so many people give me such a cold look and it was "suggested" I try another guild. I asked why and was told it was because they were a "Christian Group". How dare they! My reply was that I was going to check around and see if I couldn't find a "Really True Christian Group" who was not just a bunch of gossipy B*****s, who actually knew what "Christian" meant. I was not even given a chance. And yes I guess I did pass judgment by calling them the "Bs" but was only for a moment. At least one thing for sure, they knew I called things they way I saw them. I wasn't even there 30 minutes. 100 degrees outside and below freezing indoors. I called a couple other guilds and asked if any of the people I knew from the other guild were members and of course they were. I did go to another guild where the meeting house was 30 minutes away but got to be too much lugging the machine. Am looking for a light-weight and not wanting to pay a whole lot but too many things really going on. So will put off. I still hear from this last guild though. Really need to get back into it. Take my mind off things that have arisen.
I am sorry you experiance that. I belong to two Guilds and they are full of wonderful women. My question is how did they know that you weren't a Christian also. I am sure you didn't wear a sign around you neck saying non-christian.
But I am with you true christians don't act like this. Shame on them, their loss.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Same thing happened to me. After going to the quilt show held here in February, I asked about joining. They invited me to the next meeting to see if I wanted to join. I was not informed I had to bring "samples" of my work and do a "show and tell". I lugged my sewing machine in case I was going to use it. I saw a couple people I knew who immediately acted like they didn't know me. I mean I've known them for many years but truly standoffish. Didn't take long and I didn't even take my sewing machine out. I never saw so many people give me such a cold look and it was "suggested" I try another guild. I asked why and was told it was because they were a "Christian Group". How dare they! My reply was that I was going to check around and see if I couldn't find a "Really True Christian Group" who was not just a bunch of gossipy B*****s, who actually knew what "Christian" meant. I was not even given a chance. And yes I guess I did pass judgment by calling them the "Bs" but was only for a moment. At least one thing for sure, they knew I called things they way I saw them. I wasn't even there 30 minutes. 100 degrees outside and below freezing indoors. I called a couple other guilds and asked if any of the people I knew from the other guild were members and of course they were. I did go to another guild where the meeting house was 30 minutes away but got to be too much lugging the machine. Am looking for a light-weight and not wanting to pay a whole lot but too many things really going on. So will put off. I still hear from this last guild though. Really need to get back into it. Take my mind off things that have arisen.
Since you were not wearing a 666 on your forehead, wonder what prompted the "christian" remark? (yes, I would ordinarily capitalize the C, but saw no reason to in this instance)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM

It is too bad that some groups do this kind of thing to people. I would guess there are horror stories for any kind of group you could try to join... Christian or secular. I hope you realize that your awful treatment has nothing to do with quilt guilds or with Christian people, but just with that bunch of women. Awful people are everywhere, but there are many more quilds, clubs and Christians that are wonderful, helpful and welcoming. Give it another try!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Well, I just consider the "Quilting Board" as my on-line Quilting Guild. I started quilting when I retired and wanted to find a group that wouldn't find my quilting "not meeting their expectations" and you all are the best Quilt Guild there ever was for a beginning quilter. You answer questions (with no eye brows raised like "what are you thinking"), praise all of us beginning quilters as well as the skilled ladies (who I envy greatly) and are here with just a click of a button no matter sun or snow or rain. Thank you for being my "Quilt Guild"!!!!
That is the way I feel too!! I can do what I want when it is convenient for me. I don't drive and yes, it would be nice for some company to go shopping for fabric since I had to give up driving.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Don't know about a friendly guild. I had belong to one but I caught the Sec. with hand in till, the V.P. doing a Bunco in the FQ drawing box and BOM drawing. Certain members were told to write their names on unfolded paper so she could talk and play within the box for the certain name to win the FQ/BOM. Over heard her telling certain people where to sit so they would win the expensive prises. So, I quit bringing anything. Made the mistake of mentioning it and it got back to the committee,theywent about telling individual memebers I was bad mouth each one etc.; so I got an unsigned letter in the mail telling me never to come back. I was then told by an outsider that it was a dicatorship. So, don't know accept they were not Christian or even moral. Certain members get a 15percent discount if they belong to a certain other club also. Looked into another and found almost the same thing.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:23 AM

I experienced the same thing when I first went to a guild. Not one person spoke to me or smiled at me. I felt absolutely invisible. I was in tears when I left because I wanted and needed a group of women to teach and encourage me as I tried to become a quilter. I next went to my local library to see if there was another group -- and there was!l It wasn't an official guild but, instead, a group of about 10 women quilters who met twice a month in a church basement. They were enormously helpful to me and we had a lot of fun. You might check with your library or take steps to reach out to quilters in your area who might want to help form a group. Finding mine was one of the luckiest moves I've ever made.