Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton fabric >

Cotton fabric

Cotton fabric

Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Red face Cotton fabric

This may be a silly question but I am cutting out hexagons in plain coloured cotton fabric for grandmothers garden quilt. Is there a right or wrong side? I can not see any difference. I have always worked hard to keep it what I thought was the right side but with the Accuquilt go , fabric is folded right to right side and it is too much work to turn fabrics over to which I think is the right side up.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

You own both sides of the fabric, so use the side you like best. It is important to use the right side of the fabric if you are doing large pieces in a quilt because the light can reflect differently. Sometimes I deliberately use the " wrong" side of a fabric in a quilt.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 AM

It is for 1 1/8" hexagons. Do you think it will matter if I get the right and wrong mixed up?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Tartan , Are you in Ontario Canada ?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM

I am in London
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 PM

Default Still need help

Thank you Tartan but I am working with beige and do not know if I am getting shiny right side up. They are 1 1/8 hexagons for my main fabric around the flowers. Have 6 petal flowers and putting the beige in every second petal. When I put them together each petal is going to touch another flowers petal and beige is background. Have other colours in solids and can see right from wrong in some.With smaller pieces does it matter or will it be noticeable ? Hope this makes sense
Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I didn't see the previous conversation, but when I am having trouble finding the wrong or right side, I mark the wrong side with a little bit of chalk or a light pencil that won't show through before I make my cut. Then I can tell which side is which. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:59 PM

When I am struggling to decide which is right/wrong side, I figure it must not matter much (I realize that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all). But unless it is a really important quilt, not mattering much is good enough for me.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I made a Grandmother's Flower Garden. I used Robert Kaufman solids. I marked the wrong side of the fabric with a little bit of chalk or a light pencil that won't show through before I make my cut. Then I can tell which side is which. Hope this helps. There was also an excellent post a few days ago where someone showed how they stored the cut hexagons. Good Luck !
Old 11-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Thank you. The quilt is for my husband and myself when I get it done. To late for chalk marks have the squares cut and ready to die cut them.before I put them on the papers I will try to get the right side up. I saw on Pinterest that the plastic tube trays like in peak freans cookies to store them in after you have them on the papers.