Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM

BellaBoo now I understand your location under your avitar LOL " I sat on the front row"
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM

I am what use to be called an Army Brat/Child. I have associated with all kinds of people around the world and religons and never had such problem before. I assume it is because I caught so many naughty things by the committee and they did not like someone finding out about the stealing from the rest of the members. My understanding from the National Guild is that Guilds are located in regions so it would be hard to start one in a region where one exist.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 AM

P.S. When I was there I only talked with one person in 3 yrs. So all the others heard came from the committee whispers.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Guilds are just like other organizations with minutes, ongoing business, etc. Not my idea of fun.
Give me a nice little group that meets in each others homes and swaps ideas etc. I sure miss my little group that I moved away from. I learned from them and them from me. We did wounded warrior quilts that we donated to the local vet hospital not the big organization with all the rules and expense involved.
Wish I could find local quilters here.
I agree with this - when I belonged to a guild there were more cons than pros.
Con: most meetings were just minutes/ongoing business/show & tell, etc.
Pros: Show & tell but you can do that with a small group, occasionally nationally know lecturers (but if it isn't a big group this doesn't happen), occasional workshops - although they sometimes open these to the public

I have never gone to a guild meeting where they did anything other than demos. With a small group you on the other hand can actually sew, have a longer meeting, share with one another your strengths, give support, etc.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

WOW I can't believe you were treated so horribly and by a supposedly "Christian" group. I was chairman of a quilt guild several years ago, until I had to start working full time and could not attend the daytime meetings any longer, however, we had a group of ladies who would greet you when you come in and although they did require that you pay dues, the first visit was always free, then you could decide if you wanted to join. It boggles the mind why they treated you that way.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
A few years back a friend, my mom and I went to a guild meeting in our home town. Although we live in an upscale suburb, the woman on the phone who invited us sounded nice. We were told to bring something for show and tell. It didn't matter if it was a wip or completed. We all brought something to share.

When the show and tell portion was happening, and it was our turn, as you could tell the order women spoke in, one of us started to stand and show and talk about her project, we were completely skipped over. The woman leading this stopped her from talking and had a guild member speak instead, the woman on the other side of all 3 of us. None of us had our quilts in a bag. They were all very visible.

I'm wondering 3 things; is there a local (non-religious, non-snobby) quilt guild that is accepting more members or should we just start our own? How difficult is it to start your own guild?

We live in Perinton NY.
Hi, Many years ago this sort of thing happened to a friend and I when we went to a meeting of a wives club in the R.A.F. The chairwomen after the opening stood and asked 'How can we encourage more members'' As we had met with no welcome when we first arrived I stood and suggested perhaps someone should make sure that we were at least greeted and introduced. This statement was met with opened mouthed astonishment --- enough said ! Letty
Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Some people never seem to have left high school behind. So sorry you had to put up with that.
And Tessagin, what happened to you ... Those women need to do some deep self examination and think about what being Christian is supposed to mean.
This year the Genesee Valley Quilt club had a show at RIT and I couldn't help but notice how friendly, laughing and hugging the ladies who ran the show were. Maybe you could put feelers out in their direction?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Well, I called the number in the newspaper to find out where the guild would meet. I was politely informed that this group was "not for beginners!" I went, just to see what kind of reception I would get. There were only 12 members present. Wonder why? I went several times, and they never found out that I was a quilt teacher. They have been rude to folks who have come, insulted a wonderfully gifted 13-year old by telling her she didn't belong, etc. Long story short, I no longer go to that Guild and they have lost so many "members" that they are back to 12 members and as someone told me it's rather "cozy" now. Imagine.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM

This makes me very sad. I have been in the Perinton area, my Daughter lives up there. I have hesitated myself about joining a group. I am going to give a local one a try next week.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 PM

I think I would have asked the leader either during or after the meeting if there was a reason why. Perhaps they just don't show visitor's quilts (which is silly, by the way). I've had a bad experience with a guild myself but they're not all like that. The group I belong to now is not a guild and the women with whom I quilt are immensely supportive. We all encourage each other's work, are especially encouraging to beginners and the friendships I have formed there are an important part of my life. Don't give up.