Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feed sack fabric - who remembers? >

Feed sack fabric - who remembers?

Feed sack fabric - who remembers?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 AM

What a terrific find and a precious one, too!
Not growing up on a farm, I was never around any feed sacks. I never imagined they came in patterns or were anything but a real course material - the only sacks I ever saw were burlap!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 AM

I can remember sitting beside Grandad in the mule-drawn wagon, going into "town" to get chicken feed. He would take a small sample of the fabric Granny needed to make the sleeves for a dress she was sewing. I have one of Granny's quilts made from the scraps she had. She cut the scraps into strips and sewed them together to make the quilt top. I had it professionally quilted and bound so it would last a long, long time. I will proudly pass it along to my daughter someday, hopefully with the crocheted bedspread from the other side of the family and several of the quilts I'm making.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Feed sack cotton was wonderful to work with. I am old enough to remember wearing feed sack clothes to school. During the war, my mom found some "risqué" girls taking a bubble bath (only head and bubbles showed. She made each of my brothers a pair of boxer shorts and sent them to the Pacific theatre where they really enjoyed those shorts and got a lot of ribbing about them, I might add.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 AM

I remember them. Grew up on a farm. Mom would make my brothers shirts and my clothes out of them. Of course quilts too. Found a few since my mom died.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:41 AM

I sold my collections to a QB member that my late husband and I collected for several years but I do remember dresses and quilts made from them as I will soon be 75
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM

I remember. My grandmother made dish towels out of them and embroidered them with different days of the week. My mom gave them to me; and I have since given them to my daughter.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM
vjc

Default Material feedsacks

Thank you for sharing your story about the material feedsacks. I am 59 now and clearly remember my dad going to the feed store and bringing home feed for the cows in material feedsacks. My mom would make my 2 sisters and 8 blouses and depresses from them. My mom just passed away June 21, 2012 and after going through the house, she still had folded material feedsacks neatly put away. A "jewel"!!! Memories of long ago to cherish in my heart for years. An item the new generation will never comprehend the worth of a material feedsack.

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
My DMIL passed several years ago - she lived in the old family homestead - built in the late 1800s. After she passed, we let our son and his wife live in the house. When they decided to move out, we had to do some serious cleaning out of all the old furniture and things. In a cedar chest in the attic, I found several quilt tops - and these wonderful feed sacks... I remember my grandmother talking about how long it would take my grandpa to pick up chicken feed because he would search for the prettiest feed sacks so she could make dresses for my Mom and aunts. These had to have belonged to my husband's grandma Minnie....who passed back in 1976 !! The fabrics and the quilt tops - which I plan to finish - look brand new. I feel like I have been given a most wonderful gift !!! Right now i'm trying to find a Christmas themed wall hanging that would highlight the red and green fabric. Anyway....thought some of you ladies who know about [ATTACH=CONFIG]445155[/ATTACH]feed sacks would appreciate the story.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Feed sacks were a wonderful fabric, wore clothes out of them growing up.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Oh, I remember them well. Our neighbors raised turkeys and the feed came in those wonderful printed sacks. When they got feed the lady would open the seam and wash them the sell them to us for 25 cents each. I would be given $2 and walk nearly a mile over the hill to pick out sacks for my dresses. I was thrilled to be able to choose for myself. I was about 8 to 10 years old. I have gotten some from an auction several years ago, no plans for them may just sell to anyone really interested. Memories - aren't they wonderful!!! Ruth
Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories. I just love this board. But, it is addictive!