My Dad gets a Quilt of Valor

Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM

This pic is special... the quilt is special...& the Veteran is SPECIAL>>>
My Dad was also in WWll and would not talk of his war days. My aunts
have filled me in on his time in war... Thanks for sharing
Old 11-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
How wonderful that your father was honored in this way. We can never, ever repay our veterans for their sacrifices and service, but a QOV is a great way to express our appreciation.
Ditto.Please give your father a hug from my family and thank him for his service. I don't think that we do enough for these men and women. God Bless. BrendaK
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
How wonderful that your father was honored in this way. We can never, ever repay our veterans for their sacrifices and service, but a QOV is a great way to express our appreciation.

I agree 100%. If we had a like button, I'd use it!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Yes I have made one but I have quilted 60 or 70 for are guild/women club. It makes you fell good when you see them receive them their faces just light up. I'm glad I can do this for the men and women who help us keep are freedom. THANK YOU!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Give your Dad a hug from me and thank him for his sacrifices and let him know how much I appreciate his service.
My Dad was in the Navy, he served in Korea and Vietnam, my husband is a Marine and thankfully didn't see combat.
I'm one the of "Thank You Quilters", we make quilts for recuperating soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas. I've made 10 quilts in the last 4 years. We've recently begun making them for the children of the soldiers, they often need them as badly as their parent does. We get donations of fabric,quilts and quilt tops from across our nation.
Sharon
http://www.thankyouquilters.org/
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

This is a wonderful program and I think a wonderful quilt he got for his service. My dad is buried in a veteran's cemetery forty miles away from reno now. I have his quilt stored in my linen closet. Maybe I will donate it to this cause. Something to think about anyway. I have a nephew and a grandson serving now and have plans to make them one soon.

Your dad looks so happy with his quilt. God bless that lady for making such a sacrifice to get it to him.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Aww, that made me teary. I have a special place in my hearts for veterans and current military, not the least of whom are my two sons (US Navy)
God bless your father and please pass along my thanks for his service.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Thank your father for his service. QOV have high standards for the workmanship they pass on to our soldiers. I have never attempted a QOV but do hundreds of blocks for the ONE STAR PROJECT. Both are worthy of our donations. Your father got a very nice quilt that I hope warms him for years.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:35 PM

My husband is a 94 year old veteran of the Italian Campaign and the Anzio invasion of January, 1943. He didn't talk about the war for years and the only indication of what might have happened was his nightmares when January came around. Then on the 30th anniversary of the war he opened up and told us about and compiled a complete archive of his experiences, including maps, photos, descriptions and wonderful art work (he's a graduate of Pratt Institute). His nightmares stopped. Now we have a complete record of his experiences that our kids and grandkids appreciate. And they have an understanding of the war they couldn't have had before. He's in the 13th year of Alzheimers now, but he sometimes talks about the invasion, and yesterday just started talking almost nonstop about his experiences, almost a miracle since it's hard for him to form sentences. If you can persuade your veteran of any war to do the same it would be a favor to the family and posterity. You can't honor them too much for their bravery and sacrifice. They were just ordinary kids doing an extraordinary thing that saved our freedom.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Oh that is sew cool, I am honored to have the opportunity to hear part of your dad's story, thank your dad for me. I have made a few (19) small QOV. He and all the other vets and those serving currently, contributed to our freedom many sacrifices were/are made by them and their families. thanks to all.