FMQ Butterflies!! >

FMQ Butterflies!!

FMQ Butterflies!!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Very beautiful FMQ. That is something I want to try, but haven't yet
Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Looks good
Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Excellent, QE. You nailed it, especially with the ferns. I'm impressed.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:45 AM

Very nice!! Absolutely stunning! You've done well!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 AM

beautiful, love the quilting, and everything.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Thank You Everyone ... I was out of town for a couple of days and came back to an overwhelming number of positive comments. Thank you SO much. I and sorry, but cannot respond to everyone, but want you to know how much I do appreciate what you have all said. I hope that many of you will take what I have done and run with it. I know I have not done anything new. Though I know for me that sometimes I "
finally" we it differently when I see it done by someone else. So go for it, Ladies and Gents!

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
How did you transfer BFly design to fabric? Was thinking you could trace onto freezer paper and iron it down before sewing around the edge. Would that work?
I just used a ceramic pencil and looked at the butterfly part that was there, and tried to do a reflection of it on the green. When there was just a wee bit of a butterfly showing and I did not have much to go on, then I looked at the others and tried to make a butterfly. As you can see, some looked better than others.

For the plant material, I went totally solo ... no chalk likes and either continued a design I had done on the print or went freehand (or should I say freeneedle? hhmmmm guess that's true FMQ?) and winged it!

OKSGlad, your freezer paper suggestion is a good one ... I know some have done that and I have not tried it yet. I must remember and give it a try another time.

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
What a great idea. You have gotten practice and you've turned a few scraps into something wonderful.
Thanks SparkysMom ... I do better doing something for "real" instead of a practice sandwich that leaves a lot to the imagination. Plus if I make an oops, I tend to say, oh who cares and then it becomes a jumbled mess. Whereas with something potentially as a "keeper" , I take it more serious and if there are those oops moments, then I will, OK, can't mess this up, and then, how can I turn this oops into an opportunity?

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
QuiltE, you did fantastic work on the tablerunner! Your fern is thread painting! Your mind had a good plan! Keep working and it will get easier and easier.
Thanks JillNJo ... I wasn't quite sure what thread painting really is. I started with some outlining on some of the leaves etc., then that fern was so fine and delicate that outlining wasn't working. It was kind of a fun thing once I got going with it. Oh dear, don't get me hooked on something more!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM

I'd say you got it down pat!! No longer a practice piece. It's a masterpiece!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 AM
lbc

Lovely. You are doing a great job.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM

For those wanting to transfer a pattern say from the fabric to elsewhere, I have used Press'n Seal Wrap. You can put the Press'n Seal on the design and trace it with a sharp pointed sharpie or other pen that will show up. Take the Press'n Seal and put it down where you want the pattern to appear, and just stitch on the lines you drew. The Press'n Seal will pull right off. I have used this many times for a quilting template.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
For those wanting to transfer a pattern say from the fabric to elsewhere, I have used Press'n Seal Wrap. You can put the Press'n Seal on the design and trace it with a sharp pointed sharpie or other pen that will show up. Take the Press'n Seal and put it down where you want the pattern to appear, and just stitch on the lines you drew. The Press'n Seal will pull right off. I have used this many times for a quilting template.
It's been a while but I've used Press & Seal also. I found that I did better w/a ball point needle when I used it. Don't know if that'd be any help for anyone else but it worked for me.