Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton fabric >

Cotton fabric

Cotton fabric

Old 11-06-2013, 02:43 PM

I don't cut the fabric in a hexagon shape -- I use squares of fabric and wrap them over paper pieces. Makes for a lot less cutting and keeping the fabric in the middle of the piece isn't as difficult.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

​With hexes that small, I wouldn't worry about which side you use.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Power Poster

I am an EPP and I know exactly what you mean.....I used to worry about it, and when you are cutting masses it gets quite difficult to tell which side is which. If the fabric is plain, the hexies are small, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I am making a queen size EPP GFG, it has been several years in the piecing, now I'm up to stitching all the elements together I am doing the "star" configuration (the star elements being red)...that red homespun is a devil to tell one side from the other. I refuse to get too "itchy" about it because I don't want it hanging around as a UFO forever. I'm guessing once it's quilted, washed and on the bed - It will look good whichever side is up.....Besides I have no quilt police in the boudoir.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

You can usually tell right or wrong side by looking at the selvedage
Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM

Thank you Tartan and Earthwalker. Earthwalker thank you I will not worry about which side I am using. Every piece I was holding it to the light to see if I could see a shine.Now going to pick up and hex! Will go faster. Seen the star and so nice. Will be beautiful! Making a queen size and figured I need 3,264 hexagons. Not going to have it done for awhile. Quite awhile!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Power Poster

I dropped by the board as cutting red hexies was getting tiresome. The red star elements are the only bits that need finishing, the main blocks are done. I cut and piece a few star units, then join up a few blocks and so on. Breaking it up a bit seems to keep me on track. I am determined not to put it aside for more than a day or two....I so want to get it finished. Good luck with yours mraine....happy Epp'ing