Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to look for at IKEA >

What to look for at IKEA

What to look for at IKEA

Old 11-07-2013, 06:40 AM

For my quilting, I buy, fleece blankets, which are usually on offer, I cut them up for backing for baby blankets, and cotton fabric, which they sell by the yard, very good value for money. Good Luck
Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I've only been to one IKEA in my life and it was huge. The store is set up so you basically HAVE to walk through the entire store to get to the "hidden" registers (at least the one in Stoughton, Mass was). I bought terry bath towels there, but won't buy again - they don't absorb at all (no I don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets). DD has bought bookcases there and loves them. I liked the look of their "office/desk" chairs. Lots of interesting gadgets, too. You should be able to get through the entire store in under 2 hours. One suggestion: if you see an item you like - pick it up then and there (or take the tag for it) or you may not be able to find your way back to where it was located. I found the store very confusing to maneuver around. Enjoy your trip! (I think they may even have sewing machines!)

Anita
If you wash the towels in hot water for 3-4 washes they work much better. I don't know why, but it fixes it.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I agree with the posters who said the kitchen and storage sections are the best.

When you first walk in the door, grab a map. There are shortcuts throughout the store, so you can skip the sections you have no interest in, and you will find it much easier to navigate with a map. I've been to both the Portland and Seattle stores, and the registers were not hidden at all.

It's called Jansjo led work light, I rave about them every chance I get.

I bought 2 of those lamps, they are very useful with my treadle machines.
Sharon
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM

The Jansko light is a small LED with a goose neck - I have three of then in my sewing room. One I have behind the sewing machine (it has a weightrd base) another I have on my Voyager(it has a clip). I love them.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Ikea is an awesome resource for storage ideas. from kitchen cabinet islands that make great cutting tables to bookshelves, to tiny bins for your cutters, rulers, etc. in drawers, IKEA has it all. Just make sure the shelves are deep enough for fabric. they also have great tables, unusual items like cookie cutter to use for applique/quilting shapes, great lamps, interesting & well-priced fabric (tho much of it is heavier weight), and really delicious meatballs! the meatballs alone are worth the trip
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM

IKEA did have sewing machines last spring, but they didn't have many left then. Go to their site if you are curious, and find out if the store near you has one in stock.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 PM

I don't get there often but, yes, they have fabric! So different from what you find anywhere. Have fun!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 AM

We have there bottom line wooden shelves in our pantry, my hubby's office, and in my sewing room. They are called GORM and they are versatile and adapt well to rearranging. I use clear plastic bins on the shelves to hold my fabric, then book shelves, baskets for holding notions, etc. Storage options are endless at IKEA
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 AM

I bought two of the very large kitchen cabnets with wood tops for my sewing room. I can push them together for a large square surface or end to end for a long 45" cutting table. Best idea I ever had when I set up my sewing room! They do go on sale!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 AM

I will be heading to IKEA this week....before the holiday. I love poking around. Thanks for the great tips!
sandy