Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A question for a tool person >

A question for a tool person

A question for a tool person

Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 AM

hi, my husband and I believe the first two are hole punches and the last is a type of stylus. we have done leatherwork ourselves and have used similar tool. when making belts we would use the punches. When tracing a pattern to tool into a piece of leather we wet the leather and trace the pattern we want to tool into the piece using the stylus.jan
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 AM

My dad was an electronic engineer and an amateur radio operator (ham). Unless I am totally off base, at least the bottom of these tools is an electronic version of our straight pins. They keep wires in place while they are being soldered, protecting hands and fingers from the really hot soldering iron and the molten solder. Dad also used them to control just how much solder got exactly where.

Dad died recently and a group of his ham friends are coming over to help us dismantle his "ham shack" and make sure his equipment and tools and antennas and, and, and, ... get properly adopted among the "net" (the group).

Again, if I am on base, the metal points are aluminum and solder does not adhere. But aluminum does get hot and getting the points hot helped Dad get little bits of melted solder to just exactly where it needed to be. If you look at the innards of older electronic devices, you will see what I mean. What is a longish time ago, someone invented printed circuit boards.For the electronic industry, printed circuit boards were a big saving - didn't have to have hands do every little join. And they allowed smaller and smaller electronic stuff to be made. Dad hated the printed boards because they were so hard to fix. I love them for all of the technology they made possible.

I am also in the process of dismantling and sharing out my best friend's sewing room. Patterns go to a local school of the arts and several theater groups around town. Sewing desk, machines, fabrics, UFOs, bits and pieces, tools, etc. to new and tyro sewers. The residual to her quilt guild. The pattern and fabric for her first grandchild's baby quilt go to the guild friend who will make that quilt that she could not. I just can't do that part of the project. I am clouding up now.

Sorry about that digression. Demanding year.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
In another thread I started about my husband's restored toolbox. We found these in one of the drawers.

No clue as to what they are. The one with the wooden handle has a pick on one end and a slotted end.
The other two tools are identical, the silver thing slides out of the black housing. And has a strange looking tip.
They look like electronic tools I've worked with. The two black housing item are bits for wire wrap machine. A 30 gauge wire is inserted in the tip, then lowered on a vertical pin. It then spins and the wire is wrapped around the pin to make an electrical connection. The wooden handled item was used to press down the wires on the board. Hope this helps. gadglady
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by gadglady View Post
They look like electronic tools I've worked with. The two black housing item are bits for wire wrap machine. A 30 gauge wire is inserted in the tip, then lowered on a vertical pin. It then spins and the wire is wrapped around the pin to make an electrical connection. The wooden handled item was used to press down the wires on the board. Hope this helps. gadglady
Makes sense, I put the two black ones under a magnifying glass and and one has 30ga and the other has24ga stamped on them. And both have a really thin slot running most of the length of the silver insert and a notched end. The wooden handled one I found after researching is used for soldering.