Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash... >

I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash...

I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash...

Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 AM

My hubby buys from a lot of estate sales. He likes to buy by the (large) bagful at around $4 or $5 a bag - by the yard, no more than $1 a yard. He tries to buy all they have at a very reduced price and if they agree, he takes it off their hands. We end up with small pieces & FQ for me, large pieces for the church quilting group and the rest goes to Goodwill. Unfortunately, the heirs who are selling want the same prices that are in the store.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM

Great comments! I haven't made my mind up yet what I'm going to do.
I did tell him I'd like a couple of days to mull this over.
Thanks for your input.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM

I sooo agree with Wintersewer!!! If this is the mom of a good friend who passed, I would not touch that stuff with a ten foot pole! Nor would I attempt to advise them on how much it's worth. So not worth it. Let the family find out without your involvement how much/little they can get for the fabric. After a while of trying to sell it at an unrealistic price, they may even offer some to you. This advice comes from many, many years of experience!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Ask them how much they would want if you take it all, then let the negotiations begin. This way you won't hurt their feelings with a low ball price. FYI, I went to an estate sale this weekend and fabric was $1.00 per yard.

Good luck
Old 11-11-2013, 12:29 PM

I would pass on it, UNLESS you are really in love and just GOTTA have something. When I hear about these kinds of sales I always think to myself, will I really kick myself for not buying it, do I have a plan for it, is it worth my time and effort to sort through it.

I'd rather be quilting...on the fabric already in my stash that I have a plan for. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Let me say, that, I'd probably jump at it...if I could get it for a better price than what they are asking.

If it was a lot and I had the money I might offer say, $300-500 for it all... (or whatever seems appropriate)...it is hard for me to imagine. Certainly the things in the pizza boxes )already cut pieces) are worth the least. IMO, they could be considered donations. Don't pay much for someone else's started projects!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM

I "inherited" a rather large stash from my Mother in law when we had to sell her home. I gave about 60% or more away, to old and not suitable for any quilt I would think of making, now wish I had given about 90% of it away as I am still dealing with it. May indeed still do so. I have no room for it and I like to pick out my own fabrics and love to go the the fabric store LQS or Fabric Depot, so having inherited that stash took lots of fun out of the process of quilt making!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM

About a year ago, I bought about 400 yards of quilting cotton fabric on bolts from a man whose wife's quilt shop closed when she died. I paid about 50 cents for most yards to a dollar a yard and up to $2 a yard for a few yards. It was all first quality, and none cut, which ensured that my cuts would be exactly what I needed. That fabric is such a blessing for the backs of quilts for homeless families.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 11-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dwinpdx View Post
I "inherited" a rather large stash from my Mother in law when we had to sell her home. I gave about 60% or more away, to old and not suitable for any quilt I would think of making, now wish I had given about 90% of it away as I am still dealing with it. May indeed still do so. I have no room for it and I like to pick out my own fabrics and love to go the the fabric store LQS or Fabric Depot, so having inherited that stash took lots of fun out of the process of quilt making!
I know just what you mean. People give me fabric because they know I make a lot of quilts for homeless families, and storage and management of that fabric has come to occupy as much time as the piecing and quilting does, sometimes. I have a small house and I'm out of room, and then some.

One way I'm dealing with this, since I know I will eventually put it into quilts, is to use my new Accuquilter GO to pre-cut strips and triangles, etc., and the cut pieces store in much less space than the fabric did and are more quickly usable. Having them cut in advance makes shorter work of piecing the next top.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM

I agree with Krystyna, tell them kindly that you don't think the fabric will go very fast at that price. And have them call you when it's all said & done then go see whats left & only offer what you think it's worth. Ask them do you want my honest opinion or my friendship