Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine? >

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 AM

I have one. I had a lady in our neighborhood who was going to take it to a thrift store, and I made mention that I would love to pick up one or two machines that I could have in my sewing room so that when my daughters came for sewing days, they would not need to bring their machine. She gave it to me. I am not sure when it was made, but it is a Kenmore 10. I love the stitching on it. I have another one that needs servicing, my mother in law was going to take it to a thrift store, and I said let me take it and play with it. I haven't played with it much, but I may need to take it in for servicing. It is funny that when she had it sitting at her place, she didn't want to take it in, but now that it is with me she wants it serviced and wants it back. Maybe after the first of the year, I can get it going.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to do free motion quilting on it. I need to buy the free motion foot and try it on there, as I have been looking at Leah Day's website and she doesn't lower the feed dogs. I love this machine though. It is definitely a work horse. I still use my viking, but I love this one.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 AM

Grannyh67 so sorry to hear of your loss, I know how you must be feeling because I lost my son age 47 three yrs ago. They left us too soon. I have had three Kenmores in the past and they were work horses.However I now own three janomes. Sometimes I wish I had one of those Kenmores back lol
Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 AM

I have a Kenmore 1521 I bought in 70's for $165. and it is still going strong. Would have it set up to use if I had a space. Kenmore's are great sewing machine's and I have a 19000 embroidery machine. Again, no space to set it up, not much space of any kind for sewing and material and do dads. Space challenged.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

The older Kenmores are absolutely dynamic. I just love mine.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I have four Kenmores. One is a cheapo and the other three are vintage. I love, love them all...
Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 AM

Grab that machine!!! It's a workhorse. I bought one for $40 several years back that fits your same description. My sewing machine man got me a monogramming foot, and I've freehand quilted tons of quilts on it. Those old Kenmores with the external motors will withstand hours and hours of hard sewing that will 'wimp out' the newer computerized machines.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 AM

I had a Kenmore for years that was from the mid 50's. It was my mother's. I used it for years until the belt which was a hard plastic became warped and it sounded so loud when I used it I let it go to Goodwill. Hopefully someone found a new belt for it and it is still running. It was just a straight stitch but had an optional buttonholer that attached. It sewed for a lot of hours and miles.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:08 AM

I had an older Kenmore from 1969 that I purchased when I was working at Sears back then. I gave it to Salvation Army (stupid stupid) when I moved because I had purchased a Elna computerized machine, thinking that I didn't need two. Not till a few years later did I realized that I had made a big mistake, so the hunt was on and lucky me I found a 158-1703 in a cabinet for $75. Scarfed it up. Its a workhorse.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 AM

I'm glad you got it working. You will love it.

I sent you the manual...did you get it?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 AM

MEN!!! My husband would know better than to sell any of my sewing machines. I think he would be looking for a new home if he did. How wonderful that you were able to get her machine back to her, kudos to you.
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My DH brought home a Kenmore this weekend. I was all happy and everything til he told me how he got it. I'm like no no no. One of the guys who works for him let DH have it and all the attachments and the manual for $50.00. Told DH his wife hasn't used if for awhile (?). How long was awhile? Told him to call the guy and found out his wife nearly shot him. This machine was clean as a whistle. Very well kept. She hadn't used it in a couple years because she had a bit of burn out and kids moved back home with grand kids and was inundated with family chaos. They had overtaken her sewing room. She also worked outside the home. She decided recently she was going to start back to sewing because it was good for Christmas gifts and didn't have a lot of money. She didn't know he sold it AND for $50.00. I want an extra sewing machine for a back up but there's no way I'm keeping this one. DH called and we took it back to her. We got our money back (that wasn't the point) she needed her sewing machine. Dh looked at me and said "Guess next time I'll ask why it's being sold and does the owner know it's being sold." She really used that machine. Every curtain and slipcover and quilt/bedcovering and most of the clothes on her kids backs when they were younger were constructed on that machine. The attachments were in a Ziploc. I had an old jewelry box with sections in it. When opened couple bottom drawers would jut out. I put those in the jewelry box and gave to her. She was delighted and thankful.