Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am at my wits end!!!! >

I am at my wits end!!!!

I am at my wits end!!!!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:01 AM

Hey, girl. I know the feeling of getting something done late! My 2nd brother got married & I started on a cross stitch sampler for him BUT by the time it was finished. Lots of stitching. Guess what? They got divorced. Soo, there you go….. Stuff happens in life…. I removed their names, dates, etc & am going to try to sell it. It's a 10.5" x 14.5". Don't do much anymore….
Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Whew! All those struggles make me tired to even think about it! At times I am tempted to learn to machine quilt...like just last month when I made a throw for my 9 yr. old grandson for his birthday. When I asked my husband if I should try machine quilting it since it should be faster, but he thought I should hand quilt it. I guess because that is what my grandson always sees me doing and it would only seem right to him that I hand quilt his quilt. After reading about all these challenges, I think, maybe machine quilting is not all that it is cracked up to be and I will just continue to do it the slow, unstressed way. (And I did quilt his quilt in 2 weeks.) Hand quilting is my therapy. Why add stress to my life? Sure hope things start going better for your project! Please share a picture of the finished product with us.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 AM

justducky,
I quilt with a Viking Sapphire 875, its much happier with a 90/14 or 100/16 top stitch needle. I use a 40 weight thread, my favorites are variegated King Tut,YLI and sometimes a Superior solid color.
Also sewing a bit slower around the curves helps a whole lot.
Sharon W.

Martha T,
I used to hand quilt all of my quilts until I developed carpal tunnel syndrome and elbow tendonitis. It was either learn to machine quilt or cease to be a quilter. NOOOOO

Last edited by purplefiend; 11-12-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 AM

I read that if the thread is loaded backward, it will fray easier. Maybe turn the spool so the thread so it comes off the spool in the other direction.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM

How frustrating for you! It could also be that the needle is getting hot and causing the invisible thread to warm up to the point that it causes the thread to warm and stretch, therefore causing breakage. Try either slowing down or taking a break every 5 or 6 minutes to allow the needle to cool down. I know many people have had this happen, and allowing the needle to cool down has helped. Good luck!!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Two things that might help. Make sure your quilt is not falling off the table. I put tables all around my sewing table to make sure I can keep the entire quilt at the same level. No falling over the edge.(that pulling effect makes the tension go goofie!) Secondly I use a "topstitch" needle for fmg. I got this hint from a quilting teacher and it has really helped. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:46 AM

If your thread is shredding, then breaking, the needle eye is too small for the thread. I've found the best needle for FMQ with any thread is an Inspira topstitch needle. Use a size 90/14 for 40 wt thread and a size 100/16 for heavier thread. If you look at the eye, you will see in the Inspira needle, it's more rectangle than oval and therefore won't shred the thread. I get Inspira needle from my Viking dealer. If you can't find them there, try the Schmetz topstitch needles. Topstitch needles have a bigger eye. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is!! Good luck
Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM

I have a Brother 1500 Nouvelle and if I try to push or pull on the quilt it shreds the top thread My feed dogs are dropped so maybe try to listen for a medium hum and try to pace your movement with that. Sorry I am just starting to get that feel and my brain is finally keeping up with my hands!! Hope that makes sense. Good Luck and it's true
Take a DEEP BREATH and drop your shoulders into a relaxed state you'll feel much better
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Check the inside of the machine foot for burrs or rough edges. This happened to me. The thread kept shredding and breaking because it was rubbing on a rough spot inside the foot.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by justducky65 View Post
Update: All was well until about 30 minutes in and then the thread started breaking again. I am starting to think that it is the machine. It just does not want to be used for quilting and just wants to be used for regular stitching and decorative stitching. On a positive note though, I did make some progress so all is not lost.
You said you were using a Viking---What model? I have a Viking 870 Quilt that is really picky about what thread it likes. It hates Coats and Clark. You might try a different brand of thread. Maybe the brand you are using is not your machine's favorite. :-)