Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh >

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Old 11-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Wow, I like that. Of course, my favorite part was that it can be used as hair glue. What the heck is hair glue? lol
A HA!!!! Is hair glue how those dudes get their Mohawks to stand straight up?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Here is another economical way to sandwich your quilts.

3 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
8 ounces or rubbing alcohol
clean spray bottle

- In a pot place 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt bring to a boil and reduce to a gentle boil.
- In a gravy shaker (or a jam jar) put 1 cup of cold water and 3 tbsp of flour - shake until the flour and water are combined.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the gently boiling water like you are making gravy and let it cook until the consistency of gravy/egg whites/ thin gruel.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- In a clean spray bottle add 8 ounces of rubbing alcohol and the cooled flour mixture, gently shake and go sandwich a quilt.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Wow, I like that. Of course, my favorite part was that it can be used as hair glue. What the heck is hair glue? lol
Lol, I wondered the same thing!!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post

3 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
clean spray bottle

- In a pot place 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt bring to a boil and reduce to a gentle boil.
- In a gravy shaker (or a jam jar) put 1 cup of cold water and 3 tbsp of flour - shake until the flour and water are combined.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the gently boiling water like you are making gravy and let it cook until the consistency of gravy/egg whites/ thin gruel.
- In a clean spray bottle add 8 ounces of rubbing alcohol and the cooled flour mixture, gently shake and go sandwich a quilt.
Yeah, I like this recipe even better! That alcohol would dry even quicker than water. Nice!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 AM

carslo thanks for this recipe. I don't think it would dry any faster because you have 3 cups water (24 oz.) to 8 oz alcohol would it?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
carslo thanks for this recipe. I don't think it would dry any faster because you have 3 cups water (24 oz.) to 8 oz alcohol would it?

If I want it to dry faster so I can FMQ that day, I iron each section after I spray it
Old 11-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post

3 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
clean spray bottle

PS

I found the recipe from a woman who was making a quilt as you go and she said she had had no trouble. I have been using this method for over six months now and have left the sandwiched quilt for up to a month before I have finished it and washed it. I also read that the alcohol is supposed to deter the possible growth of mold. I live in soCal so not too moldy of a climate here. I really like this method the best of anything I do. I do iron the sections as I go along because I want to get right to FMQ the next day. This method makes the flattest sandwiches ever, good luck your project.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
A HA!!!! Is hair glue how those dudes get their Mohawks to stand straight up?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Hah! My high-school boyfriend had a mohawk. He used egg whites to make his stand up! (hmmm...can egg whites baste a quilt? I think I'll stick with Elmers....)
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM

I'd love to see a candid-camera type segment of all of us with our glue bottles, spray bottles, brushes, toothpicks, wrenches, etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I'd love to see a candid-camera type segment of all of us with our glue bottles, spray bottles, brushes, toothpicks, wrenches, etc.
Hah! And of course most of us are probably in very comfortable but not very flattering clothes, covered in spare threads and cat hair...

(Or is that just me? LOL)