Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray glue quilt layers >

Spray glue quilt layers

Spray glue quilt layers

Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

basting spray is *repositionable* ; spray glue is not- make sure you purchase the right product. if you use a glue it may dry and be permanent , may wash out- might not, may stain the fabric- or cause hard areas which do not soften up. when you purchase the 'Basting Spray' read the can & follow the instructions for the best outcome. start with one side- smooth the fabric over the batting- allow to dry, flip over, spray the second side, smooth the fabric over that side of the batting- allow to dry. some people pin around the edges - for small projects it is not always necessary- but often on large projects it helps to keep the edges together as you manipulate the quilt through the quilting process.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by FlaGirl View Post
Check out this spray basting wall tutorial by Patsy Tompson. I put one in my garage and it is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
Oh BOY!!!! I tried this method taping firstly some old newspapers to my tiled bathroom wall, and then continued as in video. Result!!!!!. I very messy tiles, and one very messy bathroom floor. The table or floor is a better system I found.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 AM

I guess I am different. I tape my backing, wrong side up, to my table....... layer the batting and the top, making sure I have no wrinkles, and then fold back the top and the batting and spray and smooth out one layer at a time. For big quilts, our local Senior Center will let you come in and use their big tables if you call and make an appointment. Four of those tables work great together.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:26 AM

I use the Sharon Schamber method of rolling the quilt top and backing on to two boards first. That way I can work with a limited area at a time. I used her thread basting technique to start with and then I used spray baste and now I use Elmer's glue straight out of the bottle in a giant zigzag across the batting, smooth the top down and let it dry and turn it over and do the back side. Super smooth every time.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by FlaGirl View Post
Check out this spray basting wall tutorial by Patsy Tompson. I put one in my garage and it is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
I think I now have extra reasons to clear out the excess clutter in my garage or try and reconfigure my utility room over the winter months! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 AM

I also use spray basting but I tape the quilt back down to the floor then layer the batting and quilt top. Then I roll one half of the top and batting towards the center, (so you end up with two rolls at the center) I spray the wrong side of the backing, and the unroll the batting smoothing it as I unroll. I let it set for a few minutes and then do the same with the quilt top, then do the same for the other half of the quilt. I do use the help of my happy hubby because most of my quilts are full size to queen size. By the end our knees feel our age but I haven't had any issues with puckering. I want to try the school glue on my next quilt because the overspray makes for a lot of cleanup. Happy quilting everyone.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
First, I start with my batting on the table. It's easier to get to hold still for me. I clamp it down all around my table.

I spread the backing over it and make sure everything is as it should be. Then I fold back 1/2 and spray in a sort of grid like pattern. Smooth the backing over the batting and repeat on the other side.

Flip it all over and do the same with the quilt top.

This methods works really well, but I do generally end up with lots of fuzziness on my hands and forearms. I've gone to using Elmer's glue and a paint brush. It seems less messy to me . . . and cheaper. I'm cheap!
I basically use this method, only I have a king sized bed that I do this on. I also have an old, large flannel sheet that I cover the bed with. It's large enough to cover the head board to protect from over spray. Do spray lightly because it's easier to add more when needed (just like salting your food when cooking....who does that anymore.....cooking I mean?). When I spray I'm careful to direct the spray toward the center to cut down on over spray. I like 505, but I also like Dritz and June Taylor. Read the formulas on the cans and you will find that Dritz and JT are identical, haven't compared the formulas to the 505. I do NOT like the Sullivans (pink can), found it way too sticky, even had my nose hairs stuck! It also has a much stronger odor. One more thing. I do not clamp or tape anything, the flannel sheet holds my project in place quite well.

Last edited by Delilah; 11-18-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Spray adhesive is messy and smelly. It's Elmers for me. I dilute it with a squirt of warm water, hold it up high and let it steam in a thin line on the batting, smooth the backing, let dry and then do the opposite side. No hassle, no fumes, no mess. Harmless to do on a dining room table or a bed mattress.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 AM

I have been using the Elmer's glue since I read about it on this board. I spread my 3 layers together making sure to have some overhang of the batting and backing on all sides and drape it over my sewing table (which is a small folding table). I pin it across the middle then roll back the top and start gluing a little at a time. I have been ironing each section as I glue, but I don't think I will do that anymore as I find the top will be a little warped when I start sewing...like it has been stretched and I wonder if that is the ironing?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by IowaStitcher View Post
I know there have been some discussions about securing layers of the quilt for quilting with spray glue.

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
basting spray is *repositionable* ; spray glue is not- make sure you purchase the right product.
I agree. If your product says "glue", make sure it's washable. And you want the right kind of washable - one kind means it's permanant and won't wash out, the other kind means it will wash out. You want the kind of glue that will wash out - or, to make it easier, Elmer's washable school glue.