Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where Were You November 22, 1963? >

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 PM

What an awful day that was. I was a senior in High School.. and like a lot of teenagers I thought I knew everything.... so I was wearing a tiny transistor radio that my brother had built for me in a Sucrets tin.. I had the wire for the earplug running up under my shirt. My hair was long so no one could really see the ear piece and as long as I kept the volume way down no one knew the difference.. I thought I was big stuff... When the music was interrupted and the anouncement was made I was so shocked that I stood up and blurted it out.. I didn't raise my hand, just stood up and said what I had heard. My English teacher turned and looked at me and must have known, by the look on my face, that it was what I had heard.. She turned and walked out into the hallway... in a few minutes she came back and said that it was true. No more class, we turned on a radio in the classroom and we all just listened and cried. Very soon we were all sent home. It was the children that made me cry. I can still see little John saluting his father's casket. It was a horrible day. Still can bring tears to my eyes. I guess in the shock of the event the fact that I had been listening to a radio in class was forgotten as nothing was ever said about it.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM

I was in 9th grade. It was just after lunch and I was in gym class. We were going to be doing square dancing so we were all out on the floor in our places waiting for the teacher. A few of the kids said that they had heard that the president was dead but we did not believe them. The principal came on intercom and told us the news. We all sat against the wall and waited for class to be over. We had to go to class for the rest of the day but we just sat there. School was out for the next few days and of course the funeral was on television. I will never forget the riderless horse during the funeral procession and John saluting his father at the funeral. I was 11 years old and felt the sorrow and loss of a beloved leader.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I was in 6th grade too. We heard the news from the construction workers that were building a new church. In those old days, there weren't any TVs or radios in the classroom. It was the first time in my lifetime that it was 24 hour coverage of a news event. Never forgot Walter Cronkite almost crying while giving the report of President's Kennedy's death. Can't believe it has been 50 years. My birthday was one day ahead of his.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:47 PM

I was 19 years old and working as a waitress in a small cafe... There was a regular that came in every day for breakfast and he was a jokester, he came in the door that afternoon and said the president has been shot, at first I thought he was joking until I saw the look on his face. It is still such a sad thing. I guess I am lots older than some of you folks. It did indeed change America.. Then when Robert was shot, it was like "What is happening to our country?" Very troubling times indeed.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM

I was stationed at Westover AFB in Massachusetts. Could not believe it when the airman in the mailroom asked me if I knew what someone in my hometown had done. The base was locked down, no one in or out for a day or two. It was a sad time for the Kennedy family and for our country.

mltquilt
Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 PM
SMR

I was in the sixth grade and announcement was made over PA system. To make it more interesting it was my birthday and I remember several classmates saying I must be a witch to have birthday on day President was shot. Another interesting note is that Bobbie Kennedy was shot and killed on my sister's birthday and we always Ted was safe because there were no more girls in our family.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 PM

I was in the 6th grade. An announcement was given over the intercom system. I don't remember if we left school early or not. I do remember watching the funeral on the television. My grandparents, great-grandmother and aunt and uncle came to our house to watch it because they lived out on the farm and didn't have a tv. It was a solemn day. I remember my new baby brother was still in his bassinet. He was born Sept. 27. Life has certainly changed.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:19 PM

That day is like 9/11. You do remember where you were! I was in downtown Dallas, just a few blocks away from the event. Working for 1st job with First Nat'l Bank of Dallas on 2nd or 3rd floor. We all heard & ran over to look out window but couldn't see anything. Our super said "Get back to work". I was 19.
I was in downtown Fort Worth on 9/11. Sitting in jury pool, Someone came in & said "Did you all hear about the plane that flew into a bldg?" Of course none of us knew 'cause we didn't have acces to radio. But was glued to TV for rest of that day. Had to go back to courthouse next AM,on Tues, all the parking meters were covered. Sitting outside judge's chambers, voice came over PA "Would everyone please exit bldg in quiet & orderly manner." We were on 3rd floor & you could feel the bldg shake with all going down. We stood outside across street for long time & later told to move further down south. I remember looking up north on street & seeing uniformed & his dog crossing street. After about 30-45 min., went back inside & were dismissed…
Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 PM

I was in Mineral Wells, TX. My landlady told me the President had been shot. I watched the news reports with her for a while. It was scary for being so close and not knowing if the killer or killers were heading West, in my direction. It was a sad day. Mrs. Kennedy was so beautiful, even in all the horror.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 PM

I was on an army base in france, My family was at the theater watching the longest day (I think that was the movie) I was 9 at the time. the loud speaker came on & the movie was stopped. We had to go outside where we were told what happened & they played taps. We had to stay on base until everything was checked out . then we got to go off base & home. A very sad day for America.