Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Have a Sewing Table (the thing that is made for your machine)? >

Do You Have a Sewing Table (the thing that is made for your machine)?

Do You Have a Sewing Table (the thing that is made for your machine)?

Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Default Do You Have a Sewing Table (the thing that is made for your machine)?

My mom is going to buy a portable sewing table top for my Viking machine (for Christmas)!! :-)
Yay.

We looked today @ the LQS to order it (it's the same price if we get it there or order it ourselves).
I can't decide and need to mull it over.
I think I'm going to go with the 22" square table top.
It's the newest that the company makes. Sew ... something. Can't remember the co. name.
It has a nice drawer on the side with different compartments.

Thought I'd ask what you think.
What do you like about yours?
Do you consider it a must-have item?
I have wanted one for years. I hope that I will LOVE using it.
I think I want the table top that offers the compartment, because I'll be having to take that part off of my machine to use the table top (that holds my notions).
That way I can keep a few bobbins accessible, my presser feet in there, etc.

The other top I am considering is 24 x 24 or 18 x 24, but my sewing table is really only about 22" deep. I can use the 22" in square table top because the feet of it will not be close to the very edge of my actual sewing table.

Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM

I, too, have a Viking. I have a table that I have had for 20+ years that I think I paid $15-20 at the time from some cheezy catalogue store. My machine does not sit flush. I have 4-5 drawers on the right side. The table will fold up to a smaller foot print but hasn't seen that since day 1! I don't machine quilt so that might be a factor for you. I only have an 8x10 room that doubles as a guest room. Have a futon; collaspsible craft table in the middle of the room along with other furniture. The drawers are the most invaluable item for me. It keeps all my must haves handy (scissors; seam ripper; bobbins; other assorted items). If I had the room for a larger table, I'd probably go for it but given what I have to work with...it works for me. If you can have drawers - go for it.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:19 AM

My husband made my table, with the well for my machine. There is a lot to be said about having your machine flush with your table. I love it! I think it helps to get a more accurate 1/4 in. seam also, because your fabric, especially the larger pieces that are heavy are not hanging and pulling. Easier on my back and shoulders also.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 AM

When we bought my Bernina we also bought a table for it. It has a lift mechanism so I can put the machine down and there is a wooden insert so I have a flat surface. It also has a drop leaf which I keep up and keep my cutting board on it. It is very handy to have.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 AM

I think you mean the sew steady extension table for your machine. I also have Viking machines and I have the table for all 3 of them. I just wish I had went for the one with storage but I never. When I bought my Tribute I ordered the table ahead so I could bring them home together.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 AM

I have a Viking with the acrylic Sew... 24" table (no storage). The feet are adjustable, so you can easily manage keeping it level with the machine. I store my needed things in front under the table...because it is see-through I can always get what I need easily. The one thing I noticed is that if you have the table exactly level with the machine, it is difficult to lift off the cover over the bobbin...this is easily fixed with adjusting just one or two of the front feet down a quarter or half turn. At that point there is enough "flex" in the acrylic top to allow lifting/replacing the cover.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

My Dad had bought me a Singer Sewing desk with a used Singer for my graduation from High School. I still have the desk but my Bernina now sits in it. The Singer was bolted and was able to swing down into the cabinet but the Bernina can's so it just sits in the opening. Those Koala cabinets sure look great for storing quilting things better than drawers of a desk but I am content with what my Dad bought me 43 years ago.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 AM
dms

My husband gave me a table for my bday a couple of years ago. Check out Tracy's Tables. I love mine for my Viking.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Buy the biggest table you can use. You won't regret it.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Buy the biggest table you can use. You won't regret it.
What she said.