Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you know this about epi pens for allergic reactions? >

Did you know this about epi pens for allergic reactions?

Did you know this about epi pens for allergic reactions?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 AM

Thank you for your posting. I didn't think about the filling of pincushions with the walnut shells. From now on I will put a little note on a pincushion if I give it to someone.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 AM

Great information. Thank you. My grandson has a peanut allergy and it is very scary. Everyone please heed this advice. You could save someone's life. It IS critical.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

This is a much more serious situation than people realize. Allergies aren't just food related. My DH and I are allergic to certain scents and perfumes. He can go into an asthmatic type situation even though doctor's say he does not have asthma. We don't have a lot of visitors and hopefully, if they call first they are advised absolutely NO perfume. I get near migraine headaches from those who wear it. When my boys were in school and I volunteered with holiday treats, I asked the teachers first who had different food allergies, they thought I was nuts. Friend of mine made little peanut stickers on toothpicks to let people know what foods had nut/extract/oils in the dish. I worked for a woman who had to bring a toothbrush to the office because if she ate anything that had nuts at the office, she had to make sure she didn't transfer (by kiss) to her husband and daughter who had nut allergies. People just don't realize allergies can be a very fatal situation.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 AM

These allergies can be very scary! One of the men who works for us is allergic to peanuts. He took one bite of a candy that had peanut butter in it, and spit it out. He took Benadryl right away and, I think an epi pen shot. But a coworker still decided to take him to the hospital. The man felt fine until he was in the examining room in the ER, and then he started having some wheezing. He ended up being sedated for 48 hours with a breathing tube! You don't play around with allergies.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 AM

My DD is severely allergic to bee venom & is never without her epi-pen. A bee flew in the car window once & stung her on the shoulder - she used her epi-pen immediately & we took her right to the hospital. By the time we got her there - about 10 minutes - she was in extreme distress & almost died. Her organs began shutting down - she spent a week in the hospital. Allergies are very serious & should never be taken lightly.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I don't remember any child in school that had an allergy to anything, now seems every other one is allergic or has asthma. That's alarming. When my children were born, their Dr. told me to not give them honey for the first year and to introduce a taste of eggs and dairy by 3 months to build up their immune to allergy. Now Drs say not to do that.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Being a Registered nurse for over 40 years I knew all this. It is good info for those that are not in the medical field and those that have severe allergies that would require the use of an epi-pen..
Old 11-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I don't remember any child in school that had an allergy to anything, now seems every other one is allergic or has asthma. That's alarming. When my children were born, their Dr. told me to not give them honey for the first year and to introduce a taste of eggs and dairy by 3 months to build up their immune to allergy. Now Drs say not to do that.
There is a lot of speculation about why. Some blame GMO foods since they seemed to take hold about the time allergies began to be on the rise. As for the foods, my younger two didn't get wheat or dairy until age 1 and egg until age 2, seafood until age 3, and they have no known food allergies. I ate peanuts during my pregnancy with my oldest and she is allergic. I didn't eat them during my other two pregnancies and they are not allergic. So who really knows. It's probably a combination of many things. My oldest with the food allergies also has had asthma but seems to have outgrown it.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Be sure to never leave an epi-pen, inhaler or for that matter any medication in a vehicle. The heat (or even severe cold) can lessen the effectiveness. (This from a retired pharmacist)
Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
please don't blame the schools. It's some people who don't take it seriously. Schools work hard to protect kids. Some people are just apathetic or stupid about food allergens.
I'm a teacher who has taken classes on how and when to use an epi pen. We take this very seriously. PS. Almost had to use one last week when some boys were teasing a girl with milk allergies and threw some milk on her. The paramedics arrived just before we would have used it.....