Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Binding Strips >

Cutting Binding Strips

Cutting Binding Strips

Old 11-28-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Not many know that you have to resquare the edge of the fabric after you cut the amount of strips the width of the fabric. Example, when you cut 2 1/2" strips you have to resquare the fabric after 3 cuts, 4 inch strips resquare after four cuts and so on. I learned this at a Paducah quilt show class by Omnigrid. Class members all cut six strips of 2" fabric. When we measured the last few strips they were off from the first two. Then we cut six more and resquared the fabric every two cuts. The strips were all the same.
I also learned this technique - only a little differently. When cutting 2 1/2" strips I square up my fabric and then cut three 7 1/2" pieces using my 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. Then I cut the 7 1/2" pieces into three 2 1/2" pieces. That way I can get nine 2 1/2" strips before I have to resquare the fabric. Usually though, if I need more 2 1/2" strips than that I use my GO Cutter with the 2 1/2" strip die.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Will have to try this June Taylor thingy.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gladmaker View Post
Is this using an Omnigrid ruler and rotary cutter or the Shape Cut ruler?
Do you know what caused the variation?
The variation is caused by how you line up the ruler and what angle you hold your rotary cutter during cutting. It truly is almost impossible to make multiple cuts that are all the same. You can be just a hair off on your first couple of cuts, but after making multiple cuts that "hair off" starts to grow.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 AM

I use my Alto's QuiltCut2 for all my cutting, couldn't live without it!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967 View Post
I also learned this technique - only a little differently. When cutting 2 1/2" strips I square up my fabric and then cut three 7 1/2" pieces using my 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. Then I cut the 7 1/2" pieces into three 2 1/2" pieces. That way I can get nine 2 1/2" strips before I have to resquare the fabric. Usually though, if I need more 2 1/2" strips than that I use my GO Cutter with the 2 1/2" strip die.

Julie that is how I do it too but I don't have a 8 inch ruler so I cut 5 inch strips instead. I have a June tailor ruler that I NEVER use. I have a hard time getting my rotary cutter into the strip to cut - do a need a special rotary cutter for this???? Since it is a frustration for me, I just cut the strips with a ruler and cutter. I have a swap coming up that will need strips and would like to use this ruler. Thanks for any tips you can provide!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 AM

I second that. Can't cut or draw a straight line Shape cut is my go to tool
Old 11-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by JudyLynne View Post
I do not have the June Taylor shape and cut. But I do have the roller/ruler cutter and I absolutely love it! It's not the Fiskars brand but another brand. I ordered it when I couldn't find the Fiskars. Nancy's notions did have it for sale. I ordered mind from Eleanor Burns. This is the one where the rotary cutter is attached to the ruler. It is a really neat item to have for cutting strips.
Glad to hear it, bought it shortly before I went into hospital and have not used it yet. Have puppies right now and they are in what little room I have for quilting.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Anyone else have problems getting the the rotary cutter in the slots? I'm thinking of getting the June Tailor ruler, but now the comments have me wondering.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:16 PM

I use the ruler/rotary cutter combo recently available for sale. Nancy's Notions and quite a few others have them for around $39 plus shipping. It is 27 inches long and with the cutter attached, (nearly) impossible to cut yourself. :-) I also use a hand spring clamp to help secure it to the table from slipping. I love it!!

Marysewfun
Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
What is the problem you are having in doing it this way?

Maybe I am the odd one out here ......... when I have my fabric properly pressed and folded I can cut my binding quite quickly, and with precision, without any problems. So, perhaps explain where your problem is?
Thank you for asking the same question I was going to ask QuiltE. You need a special ruler to cut strips...really??