Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine eats my fabric >

Machine eats my fabric

Machine eats my fabric

Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM

The single hole needle plate helps but also, make sure you have a new needle in and start with a leader piece of fabric.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 870 which I am very happy with except it eats the fabric at the beginning of the seam. I was wondering if I bought a straight stitch needle plate (the one with one small hole) would that help the problem?
A straight stitch plate is the best accessory I bought for my machine - I would hate to sew without it. It will ABSOLUTELY help! I tried that little 'leader' and ' ender' thing, but that's too annoying for me. The single needle plate was the fix for me. The only thing, I have had to put a label on it that I can easily see, so I can remember to change the plate when I'm doing a wide stitch - zig zag or whatever. I've broken several needles forgetting the single needle plate was one!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Default Machine eats my fabric

If you hold on to the bobbin and top thread when you start to stitch that will also solve the problem.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 AM

I have a straight stitch plate with the single hole. I always worried about forgetting it was on and switching to a zig zag stitch. I took some bright pink nail polish and put about a half inch line of it down each side of it. Works pretty well to remind me.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 AM

http://quiltville.blogspot.co.uk/200...-and-hows.html this will explain and solve your problem.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM

I agree with Charity Crafter; change your needle and use starters and enders I have a Sapphire 870 also, and it is the machine of my dreams. She is a little particular about leaders and enders. Have fun
Old 11-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I would suggest, as others have below, that a single hole plate might help, although whenever I've done that, I will forget and decide to use a zig-zag stitch and then break the needle. The best way is to use leaders and enders so that you sew off the leader onto the fabric, and end the same way, as that solves that problem.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 PM

charity-crafter, I love you. I say that because I am the exact same way. I was having trouble with some quilting and my sister said to change my needle. I thought, oh yeah, I haven't broken one for a while now. :-)
Old 11-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Beaglelady,
Try a new needle too, for piecing quilts; I like Schmetz or Inspira 80/12 microtex needle.
You can prevent the Sapphire 870 from zig zagging, if you push the tool button on your machine and select straight stitch. I have the Sapphire 875, started with the Sapphire 870.
Sharon
Old 11-28-2013, 06:29 PM

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions! Holding the threads to start does help as does using leader fabric. Also, purplefiend, thanks for the tip on how to prevent the machine from zigzagging. I will really have to have a better look at my user's manual!! By the way, what is the difference between the Sapphire 870 and the 875?